Possible heart pig?

beefyduck

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi everyone. A few days ago I heard Duck hooting while eating his hay. The hooting was very infrequent but went on over the course of an hour. I also heard what sounded like him clearing his throat a couple of times. Everything else seems normal about him. He still loves his veggies and popcorns after cage cleanings.

What worries me is his breathing. We got him when he was 4 months old and his breathing shook his entire body. We took him to a vet who claimed to have experience in guinea pigs and she said he was perfectly healthy. Fast forward a few months and Duck had grown and put on some weight and his heavy breathing stopped. It would reappear briefly sometimes but we never worried because that first vet said it was normal. Now that it is back and coupled with hooting do you think he could be sick? He still behaves normally otherwise.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:08 pm

The kind of hooting you have to really worry about is the kind that goes on for a long time (much longer than an hour, like days), or is pretty constant over time. If it only happens when the pig is eating, or goes away when the pig coughs, it's probably something in the throat.

I'd just watch him for a while. As long as he behaves normally, I wouldn't worry much.

Full disclosure. I have a pig that hoots, a LOT, and not just when she's eating. But she's had x-rays, her heart isn't enlarged, and there's nothing abnormal visible on the x-ray. She's had a trial of heart meds, and a nebulized brochodilator, and nothing helps. She's just as active as she's always been, so I'm not treating it at the moment. I have no idea what's causing it, and neither does the vet.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:34 pm

We got him when he was 4 months old and his breathing shook his entire body.

Did he tremble? Some guinea pigs ma appear to breath funny but can be frightened (may grow out of it).

beefyduck

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:27 pm

He did not tremble. His sides would heave with each breath. Now his sides have and his head bobs with his breathing.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:00 pm

That sounds serious enough to get him to a vet to see what's going on. ASAP.

beefyduck

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:33 pm

It's freezing where I am. How can I keep him warm during the trip to the vet?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:13 pm

I would see a vet asap too and bring up possible heart issues.

Zaphy

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:11 am

For vet trips when it's cold outside, I bundle pigs up in a small blanket or towel inside their carrier. They're usually pretty freaked out over being transported so they'll hide/burrow in the blankets on their own, with the side effect of keeping them a bit warmer.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1