(Chronical?) URI symptoms on many piggies

Smurggel

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:16 pm

During a period of around five years, we’ve owned around 6 piggies, and one thing has always bugged me out.

Many of them, since our first ones, have sometimes been sneezing and making some strange wheezing noices (at times kind of like an owl, but more raspy).

At first I was worried, and I kind of still am, but since it seems so chronic and obviously non-faral, it can’t be URI, I’ve concluded. Allergy seems unlikely too, since they’re all different guinea pigs from different mothers.

The place is not windy or cold (sometimes I leave my window open but make sure there is no air flow through the room), and I don’t think that the hay is that dusty? But it must be something like this - it is kind of bugging me out anyway!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:08 pm

You would keep track of all the variables you can to see if you can figure out what is causing it.

Consider also mold in the house. What bedding are you using?

Smurggel

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:50 pm

Thanks for the answer, but it’s really strange. We’re currently using alder wood chips, which is not dusty at all, and the house is definitely not moldy. I can’t really think of anything, except that the hay has always been dusty and always will be (I have never seen a bag free of tiny dust-like particles from dried grass and herbs, so I guess it’s normal).

3 posts • Page 1 of 1