Separating a sick guinea pig from cage mate?

Bapa

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Hey everyone! First post here! One of my Guineas - Aggie - is sick at the moment with a URI flare up, she's getting treated for this. But, in the past few days, I've noticed her cage mate, Pumpkin, is becoming more pushy with her - chasing her, trying to mount, generally annoying her. I'm wondering if I should put Aggie into a separate cage as I'm worried that this is stressing her out! Plus she's not really eating a lot and I'm worried incase Pumpkin isn't letting her eat, she's chasing her away from hay and when Aggie is trying to rest peacefully, Pumpkin is coming over and bothering her! I'm syringe feeding Aggie so don't worry :) I've been trying to research this online and can't find anything on the subject! Any thoughts would help me greatly! Thanks :)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:52 pm

Tell us more about their ages, personalities, and the size of the cage - and if you have any visual dividers in the cage so they can be in different areas and not see each other. And how many food dishes do you have?

Bapa

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Cage is 6ft by 3ft. 2 food dishes, 2 water bottles, big litter tray full of hay, plenty of veggies and hidey spots. Aggie is 3 in April, Pumpkin will be 2 in June. Aggie was the dominant one when our last girl Betty was alive but since she passed in June she has become quiet - she's had problems with her lungs for as long as we've had her - but it's come in flare ups. This time she's gradually lost weight and Pumpkin has put on weight. Pumpkin has, I think, taken advantage of this and has started bossing her around - past Aggie would have not stood for this and would have put her in her place! Pumpkin is very quiet and shy with us, hates being handled and petted in her cage but loves cuddles once she's out. A pretty docile piggy and got on with Aggie and Betty in the past.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 pm

Sounds like everything is set up well. Do add some fringed dividers to break up the cage visually. You could also take out Aggie for special treatment and vegetable treats (and eating un-bothered). Make sure all the hidies have more than one exit.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1