Separating a sick guinea pig from cage mate?

Bapa

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Hey everyone! First post here! One of my Guineas - Aggie - is sick at the moment with a URI flare up, she's getting treated for this. But, in the past few days, I've noticed her cage mate, Pumpkin, is becoming more pushy with her - chasing her, trying to mount, generally annoying her. I'm wondering if I should put Aggie into a separate cage as I'm worried that this is stressing her out! Plus she's not really eating a lot and I'm worried incase Pumpkin isn't letting her eat, she's chasing her away from hay and when Aggie is trying to rest peacefully, Pumpkin is coming over and bothering her! I'm syringe feeding Aggie so don't worry :) I've been trying to research this online and can't find anything on the subject! Any thoughts would help me greatly! Thanks :)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:52 pm

Tell us more about their ages, personalities, and the size of the cage - and if you have any visual dividers in the cage so they can be in different areas and not see each other. And how many food dishes do you have?

Bapa

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Cage is 6ft by 3ft. 2 food dishes, 2 water bottles, big litter tray full of hay, plenty of veggies and hidey spots. Aggie is 3 in April, Pumpkin will be 2 in June. Aggie was the dominant one when our last girl Betty was alive but since she passed in June she has become quiet - she's had problems with her lungs for as long as we've had her - but it's come in flare ups. This time she's gradually lost weight and Pumpkin has put on weight. Pumpkin has, I think, taken advantage of this and has started bossing her around - past Aggie would have not stood for this and would have put her in her place! Pumpkin is very quiet and shy with us, hates being handled and petted in her cage but loves cuddles once she's out. A pretty docile piggy and got on with Aggie and Betty in the past.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 pm

Sounds like everything is set up well. Do add some fringed dividers to break up the cage visually. You could also take out Aggie for special treatment and vegetable treats (and eating un-bothered). Make sure all the hidies have more than one exit.

Bapa

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:13 am

Hi there, again! I'm looking for some help and advice on what to do, I'm really struggling at the moment on what to do next! This is a long story but, I feel you'll need this information!

My 3 1/2 year old female guinea - Agatha - has been struggling this past year and a half with numerous things. She had a hard start in life - delivered to a certain UK pet supply store, had been wrongly sexed on the trip over so she ended up with males - got pregnant, had her babies on the shop floor where they unfortunately didn't survive due to the other females, got horrendously sick afterwards due to stress (severe ringworm, URI etc)

I adopted her when she was around 16 weeks old and she had a few flare ups of croaky breathing now and again which were under control with anti b's and also steroids which then stopped working. We changed our bedding and hygiene routine about a bit and so far she's okay, much better than what she was, but we still don't know what causes it.

One of her friends passed away in June 2017 and they were the original twosome that myself and my husband adopted. Since, May '17 she's very gradually lost weight. She was a good 900g in April '17 and as of tonight she's now 712g.

She has had her teeth checked numerous times (never had a trim or her molars filed), recent xrays done, abdominal scan (which confirmed a very small ovarian cyst - about 1p size - this was diagnosed last year and is regularly checked for size) - she's been on oral Metacam for about 10 days along with 2x20ml critical care feeds (with added probiotics and an energy form of critical care, like a white powder).

She was started on Metacam as I thought she was sore, quite wobbly, hunched over and not her usual vocal cheeky self. She perked up the first few days immediately, really vocal and inquisitive, loves her daily feeds and eating well.

Her ribs, spine, hips and tail bone are very prominent - if she wasn't an Abyssinian I think she'd look awful. Her coat is shiny, eyes bright, vocal, still eating and drinking but I'm at a complete loss as to what this could be. Even with the extra 2 feeds a day, she doesn't seem to gain weight, for the past 3 weeks she's gone between 760g - 712g and everything in between.

I'm just wanting someone to point me in a different direction to try something new or tell me something I need to get checked! I'm a student Vet Nurse and have access to an Exotics vet. Aggie also has a companion - Pumpkin - who cuddles with her :) thanks and sorry for the essay!

Bapa

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:17 am

X-ray wasn't a lateral (side view) of her as she wasn't sedated or anything, so it's hard to see her teeth at all! It was to check the status of her lungs and cyst. I'll see if I can attach it somehow!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:29 am

If it is clear and crisp, you can email it to me to post here (add your board name to the email):

I take it they ruled out stones with the general xray? Did they check heart issues?
www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

Can you increase the hand feedings? You mentioned twice a day. Adding another one could really help.

She has indeed lost quite a bit of weight and had a really rough start at life.

Bapa

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:26 am

I've just sent the email with the xray attached. Yes, there's been no mention of stones! She has had an overall check this year and nothing about heart was mentioned!

I'll definitely start with the 3xfeeds - thanks!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:37 pm

Here is your xray. Due to it being from the top, not as much information is available (harder to know for sure if there are stones). I think stones are seen more easily from the side. It appears one side of her abdomen has a lot of gas. Size of heart also seen better from side:

Bapa

Post   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:42 am

So we got a conscious x-ray of her chest to check her lungs before we gave a very light sedation. Whilst she was sedated we checked her molars and her teeth were great! Her lateral x-rays showed congestion around her lungs and we couldn't see a clear cardiac silhouette so, we're trialing her on daily injections of Dimazon for 4 days as well as 1/4xVetmedin 1.25mg twice daily to see how she goes! I'm really hoping I see an improvement! I can send you the xrays to attach them on this post if you like!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Did you send me this xray? I cropped it because it was quite large:

I'm wondering if there is a possible stone visible. What do you think?

Bapa

Post   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:48 am

Where are you seeing the stone? Would it not be very white? What would some symptoms be of bladder stones? She's urinating well and no squeaks or blood or anything like that?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:28 am

What I was wondering was if this was a possible stone (the white dot). It would be in the urethra instead of the bladder:

Bapa

Post   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:19 pm

I asked the Vet to take another look at the x-ray and pointed out the potential stone - they didn't think it was one, said it would be unlikely. They are worried about her heart, they are wondering if its actual congestion around it or if it's a mass of some kind. We're going to re-xray her on Monday as she'll have been on diuretics and heart meds for 5 days which should be enough to show change in this area. She's maintaining her weight which is good, eating and drinking. Not much else has changed in her - I've noticed she's not vocal anymore again which I'm taking as her feeling worse. I'm really genuinely worried about her, she just seems miserable and I don't know what else to do!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:10 pm

It is so difficult having an ill guinea pig - I understand your worry. I hope the re xray helps with a better diagnosis.

15 posts • Page 1 of 1