Post Reply

Post   » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:47 pm

Hi all... new to this.
I apologize, I know its one pig per topic, but I need to include them both to get the full story.

I have two piggies who are living together. Both recently developed runny noses and sneezing, so I brought them to the vet right away. Vet had a listen, said their lungs are crystal clear, but they do seem a bit congested in the nasal region. He said it could possibly be due to bedding, but I have them on fleece. They have no other symptoms. They are running and eating happily. He gave me Baytril (I know, not the greatest), 10mg/ml diluted in a fruity flavoring. He told me to give them the antibiotics if their symptoms got worse, but told me he didn't think it would be necessary.
He is a great vet and focuses primarily on guinea pigs and rabbits.

Do you think I should give it a go anyway? I'm so anxious, I don't even have proper probiotics here yet.
Additionally, he told me to give them 0.3ml (pig1) and 0.9ml(for pig 2) twice daily, doesn't that seem a lot?

He told me it isn't ideal for the smaller pig, because she is still growing.

I'm freaking out. Should I just start the larger piggy on the antibiotics without waiting? I'm worried that if I wait, it could potentially quickly progress to a bigger issue. I don't want to give it to smaller pig unless I absolutely have to...

Please- some advice! Thank you!!!

For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:55 am

I'm no vet, but if I remember correctly, our vets have pretty much always prescribed antibiotics (bactrim or baytril - can't remember) for a guinea pig with runny nose & sneezing. I don't know what the amount should be, but I think twice a day has been standard.

User avatar

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:01 am

Post Reply
3 posts • Page 1 of 1