Upper respiratory infection help

Tini3frg

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:39 am

Hi. we just bought a guinea pig for our daughter and it now has an upper respiratory infection with eye and nose discharge. Our local vet that treat guinea pigs is closed until monday. However i have veraflox from when my cat was sick with same a few months ago. Is veraflox safe for guinea pig and does anyone know how much if it is?

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:14 am

I’m not one of the experts so let others weigh in first. My guinea pig was once prescribed Veraflox. It’s in the same class as Baytril and Baytril is safe for guinea pigs in general (but not ideal for young pigs). My vet only had Baytril in pill form at the time so he gave me Veraflox instead since he had it as a liquid. It did cause a decrease in her appetite so I had to supplement her with Critical Care. It also caused loose stools which eventually cleared up after poop soup from her cage mate. Based on that, I wouldn’t use it again if I had other options. I’m guessing your pig is very young. Baytril is not recommended for young pigs so I assume the same would be true for Veraflox. If you do go forward with the Veraflox, weigh him regularly and use a probiotic. Fluffy was probably just under 900 grams and the dose was .25 mL twice a day of oral suspension 2.5%. If you end up waiting until Monday, make sure your guinea pigs is eating. Mash some pellets with water and syringe feed him if he is not.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:22 am

It is best to get medications prescribed by a knowledgeable vet. Perhaps you could call some Saturday morning vet clinics and describe the situation and see if your pet can be seen sooner.

It appears Veraflox is pradofloxacin (generic). Part of the family Catie Cavy describes. I could not find any widespread use of it in guinea pigs doing a search.

You might want to print these off to take to a vet if you can find one willing to see your guinea pig but not as knowledgeable as they'd like.
uri.html
antibiotics.html
antibiotic_advice.html

And do weigh daily and hand feed, as advised.
handfeeding.html

Tini3frg

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Thank you both for advice. We kept researching vets in our area or 100 miles out and finally found one open. We took him and he has been treated for a minor upper respiratory infection. He should be just fine and muy daughter is happier.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Let us know how he is doing in a few days.

If you didn't have time to read all the threads above, I do encourage you to do so.