Jasmine's Medical Questions

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:21 pm

That is a significant amount of weight loss. Could you volunteer to care for them for a while so you can weigh daily, watch behavior, give good food and determine if there is a problem?

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:28 pm

No, unfortunately that's not possible because I live about 20 minutes away and I'm a teen who can't drive there myself. Also I'm going to sleep away camp in a week so I probably won't see them for another 3 weeks.

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:55 pm

Some other info that could be useful: Jasmine is 2 years old, and she has no other known medical conditions besides foot fungus, and she is VERY pear-shaped so it's hard to tell is she's too skinny or too chubby! Like you can feel her ribs if you press down but she looks very fat because her back end is very wide! And no she is not pregnant because she has not been around male piggies as for a long time (years).

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:24 pm

Oops! Just realized I made a mistake in my typing ! She was not 1200g to start with, she was 1020g to start with! Sorry for any confusion!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:36 pm

That is better.

She may have ovarian cysts if she is pear shaped and not pregnant.

piggylover49

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Thanks so much for your help! I was also wondering if you know if ovarian cysts can cause weight loss? I looked at the page on ovarian cysts and some other websites, she doesn’t have the other symptoms of hair loss, and I don’t know about mood change because I’m not living with her anymore. However, I think it’s likely she has them based on how common ovarian cysts are in guinea pigs. Should I try and get her to a vet? Are ovarian cysts an emergency? Also she’s been pear shaped like this for as long as I have known her so for at least 8 months.

Lynx- can I send you a picture of her and how pear shaped she is so you can add it the this thread?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:36 pm

No, ovarian cysts are not usually an emergency. They can be associated with weight loss. Often there is a redistribution of weight to the abdomen. If your picture is clear and crisp, you can send it to me. Add your board name and a link to this post:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:28 am

Here are the two photos you sent. The top one is the guinea pig you are worried about. The bottom one is another of your guinea pigs. My first impression is that your top pig looks fine.

Please read closely the guidelines for determining a good weight on this page and examine each of your guinea pigs. Let us know your results.
weigh.html

piggylover49

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks you SO MUCH! I don't know what I would do without this website!

I'm probably not going to see them for a while though- I'm leaving for sleep away camp this weekend, and then I won't be going the next week, so I'm not going to be able to evaluate them for at least two weeks.

Do you think she looks overweight/underweight? For the 5 months we had them, we feed them none of the pet store treats, and only the rare tiny piece of fruit or applesauce when they were leaving ;). We feed them hay 24/7 and oxbow food which they rarely finished, and veggies. They also got about 30 mins of floor time per day, usually with lettuce spread on the ground so they would actually move, lol! I'm not sure about if they're currently getting treats, but I know that they're currently being fed hay most of the time, a good amount oxbow, lettuce, and the occasional pice of another kind of vegetable, but they don't get any floor time.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:38 pm

You really have to feel a guinea pig (along with weighing it) to determine if it is a good size. Hair camouflages so much.

piggylover49

Post   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:21 am

Ok, thank you! I’ll let you know her results when I get back!

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:45 pm

Oh, no. Some more bad news. I went bak to check on Jasmine today and she did not look good. Crusty eyes, and runny poops. Not liquid, just not fully formed. I'm trying my best to get her to a vet, I understand she needs one immediately. No one trusts me that she needs one, I know I will at least check on her on Tuesday. I pretty sure that if she's not better by then I will be able to get her to a vet. She only lost 20g over two weeks which is not too bad and she is eating, so that's good. Pigsy seems fine and has no symptoms of being sick. I also felt Jasmine's body and backbone. I could easily feel the bumps, and I could feel her ribs.