Guinea pig bloated, still eating, but acting timid

Kellycuth22

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:31 am

I have a guinea pig named Rodney that is a year and a half, and I noticed that his stomach is pretty swollen. He is walking strangely, a bit spread out, and is acting pretty timid, but he is eating normal and as far as I can tell, going to the bathroom normal as well. I just brought home a new baby guinea pig a few days ago, the power struggle has been constant, so I'm wondering if that could be causing all of this. I'm not sure what to do. The baby now seems to be picking on Rodney and upsetting him, so I'm wondering if I should seperate them for the night while I try and figure out if he's sick. Hes eating hay, but seems to be scrunching and eating his poop. Hes had hay, lettuce, carrots, cucumber and green beans today that he shared with the new pig. I gave him a little massage and he squeked in discomfort, but his stomach is not rock hard. I don't know if I should be rushing him to the vet or not. Please let me know you're suggestions.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:22 am

Perhaps you could temporarily put a divider up? It sounds like you suspect bloat. Did you read the associated threads?
www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

It does sound like he needs to be checked out by a vet.

Start weighing him daily right now. Cut back on vegetables. Offer lots of hay and make sure they both have a source of water.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:06 am

I don't see any signs of bloat. He's eating/pooping/acting normally, and his stomach isn't hard. It sounds like he's eating his cecal poops normally.

What I'd do is, Lynx suggests, cut back on the vegetables and cut the cucumber completely out for a while. If it would make you feel better, get some infant simethicone and give him 1/4 of an infant dose. And do keep an eye on him, in case he does develop some more sinister symptoms.

It's early and I haven't had much coffee, but I can't see what the new pig would have to do with a swollen stomach.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:13 am

I can't see what the new pig would have to do with a swollen stomach either (stress?). I don't think stress causes bloat.