Giving capsules/powdered medications

Sophiebaby613

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:36 pm

I tried searching for some information about this but had no luck.
One on my Piggies has been prescribed Hepato Support which comes in capsule form. He's been prescribed half a capsule every 24 hours.
So my question is, since its going to be powder, what's the best way to administer this medication?
Thanks in advance!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:41 pm

What do the directions say? Could you contact the manufacturer? What kind of product is this?

Things like probiotics can be sprinkled on wetted greens. Medications might be mixed with water and given via syringe.

Sophiebaby613

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:59 pm

The prescription label simply says give 1/2 capsule orally every 24 hours. The vet suggested I mix it in with critical care or pellet slurry. He's not a fan of neither, so I was wondering if there's another way to give it to him. I forgot to ask her in the midst of the moment.

It's a supplement for normal liver function. It has B Vitamins and Milk Thistle extract. Long story short, he was losing weight despite still having a good appetite and everything else being OK with him (teeth, etc), so as a last result we did a full blood panel, and sure enough the results showed something was up with his liver. So we're giving this stuff a try to see if it helps.
So sprinkling the powder over veggies would work?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:14 pm

He might eat it sprinkled over veggies, he might not. If you could put it in some juice that he likes, he might take it by syringe.

Kimera

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:22 am

I mix medications with a bit of critical care formula and water, and give it to a piggie by syringe. They gobble it up as if it was a tasty snack. They love being hand fed.

4lilPigs

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:13 pm

I have to mix my Trapper's medication the same way. I open up the capsule and try to get exactly half out and then mix it with the either the gas drops or CC. After I did it the first time it was pretty easy afterwards.

Sophiebaby613

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:04 pm

I wish he liked critical care! Tried the unflavored fine grind, the apple banana flavor and the licorice flavor with no luck. I put it on wetted veggies, he ate it but he definitely knew something was off. I'll give juice a try. Will be picking up low-acid, sugar free apple juice. Any other suitable juice suggestions?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:26 pm

Seems like an odd thing to prescribe for a guinea pig. What was the diagnosis?

Sophiebaby613

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:28 pm

No official diagnosis yet. Could be a few things.
We're playing it by process of elimination for now.
Ive been giving it to him for a week now and have seen progress- appetite is back to normal and he's maintaining his weight. So I'd say it's working.
The vet did lots of research and consulting before prescribing it to him, so I'm not too worried.

WICharlie

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:40 am

It can be mixed with a bit of carrot baby food and syringe fed. I've never heard of this stuff though. I wonder if your vet is knowledgeable about guinea pigs.