QUality of life v. more medical treatment - struggling!

Post Reply

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:05 pm

My Oreo is around 3. Very long story short, she has battled various ailments ever since we got her from PetSmart in June 2015. She had a terrible ear infection that caused head tilt, had to have an eye removed, and has now had a URI on and off for about a year (she went about four months without symptoms). She has been on many meds; at first, the tri meth worked but stopped working so now she's on Meloxicam and Azithromycin. She is still eating but less than usual; we are supplementing with CC.

She is wheezing. I can hear her from across the room. It breaks my heart to hear her. I am struggling with the question "quality of life v. continued medical treatment." Between the CC feedings (which she hates), the medications, the wheezing... at what point does my poor Oreo deserve peace. I guess I am just looking for support from those that have and love these little creatures. I just want the best for her. If I thought she would be all better I wouldn't be struggling, but the vet believes that the Azithromycin is the last medication line of defense and its not helping. She's still interacting wth me, still eating (although less than usual)..... I just don't know when enough is enough for her. I am just so sad for my Oreo and for me. I wonder is she happy, how can she be if she's wheezing and trying to breathe? I ordered a nebulizer and am getting the saline today to start using that for her, but is that really going to give her any long term relief.

Sorry if I'm rambling... I just don't know what to do. My favorite exotics vet is out until Monday, so if I take her to the vet anytime this weekend we'll see someone that isn't familiar with Oreo, and I don't want to do that but know I'll have to if the wheezing gets worse.

And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:25 pm

Nebulizing can help with wheezing. It doesn't always, because we don't always know the cause of the wheezing. But I'd definitely give it a go and see how she does with it.

A nebulized steroid might also help, especially if there's inflammation in the lungs causing the wheezing.

User avatar

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:20 pm

Has enlarged heart been ruled out?


Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:04 pm

I know you want to do all you can and Oreo has had wonderful care from you. See your vet Monday and get a realistic evaluation. If this is it enjoy the time you have together. I had a similar situation with a pet shop boy. He was very loved for two years through surgery, syringe feeds, multiple meds and finally daily albuterol. Pneumonia ultimately won out and he passed peacefully. If Oreo is keeping a good weight she still has resources to fight. All the best.


Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:58 am

I have had a couple runs with pneumonia, I lost one pig to it, and I saved a second pig from it (after three relapses). Nebulizing definitely saved my pigs' life, and I know for a fact that if I hadn't done it, she would not have survived (I tried with and without it, the improvement was noticeable within days). You can't do much better than Azithromycin, it was used as an emergency drug for my boy after all others failed and we saw some improvement before I euthanized him. If the Azithromycin is not working at all then I encourage you to explore other ideas, as there aren't many stronger antibiotics and it could be something else. Have they done x-rays on her lungs & heart? That would definitely help you decide quality of life because it will give you an idea of whether she can recover or if it is unlikely.

Post Reply
5 posts • Page 1 of 1