Bleeding from vaginal area

Countygrrl

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:21 pm

Ì recently adopted a 5 year old guinea pig from my local humane society. (November) Thursday morning I found quite a bit of bright red blood in her pen. Ì immediately made a vet appt and brought her in. The vet who is limited in her small exotic knowledge said that its either a bladder infection, stones, or uterine cancer.
She prescribed her Baytril .04ml every 12 hours for 10 days. She said the next option is an xray to see if there is stones (no blood in urine and urinates frequently) but that if there is she has never removed stones before. She also said if it's cancer there's nothing more to do.
I did find an exotic vet a couple hours from my home and plan to take her there for possible further treatment should the antibiotics not work.
So my question is due to her age should I persue having her spayed if there is a mass and would this be the best option. She has refused her veggies tonight which is NOT like her at all. There's a lot of blood again in the cage.
I'm heartbroken and don't know what to do and what's the humane thing. Any advice appreciated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:29 pm

I am so sorry about your guinea pig. It is unusual to see a lot of blood in a cage. By any chance was a nail accidentally pulled out? Your plan to see a more experienced vet I think should be pushed up to as soon as possible. She may have an infection of the uterus.

Hand feeding her and ensuring adequate food is going through her system is extremely important.
www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Countygrrl

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:34 pm

I wish it was just a nail. But it's definitely from her vaginal area. She ate well this morning. Ì gave her meds and then hand fed her some red leaf lettuce as an apology lol. Her nighttime lettuce is sitting untouched which is strange for her. She did eat a small carrot though. She's laying down a lot and quietly squeaking. My heart hurts for her. If it's a uterine infection will the Baytril not clear it up? Do you kniw how long it takes to start working?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:35 pm

The bleeding worries me a lot. I do not know if the Baytril is adequate to take care of this. It sounds like she is in pain. Were you given any pain medication?

Countygrrl

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 am

No pain meds were given. It's honestly not looking good. Her lettuce is still untouched. She's hiding and there is so much blood. My poor girl. Ì gave her a big hunk of cucumber this morning which she did eat. She's not drinking on her own. I'll be calling the vet again today.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:27 am

It sounds like she is not going to make it. It sounds like you need to see a vet for euthanasia asap. Sometimes it helps to have a necropsy done to understand what was wrong.

I am so sorry.

Countygrrl

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:00 pm

We brought her in tonight to be put to sleep.
Absolutely heartbroken. We tried. Ì take comfort in knowing that her last couple of months with us were happy ones. Big c&c cage, lots of free range time, cuddles and love. Her first 5 years before going to the humane society where I got Her, she lived in a Rubbermaid tote. ☹ Ì like to think she enjoyed her last couple months with us. Ì tried my best. My son is devastated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:51 pm

I am so sorry for you and for your son. You both have our sympathy.