Belle's Medical Thread

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:02 am

Belle is our latest adoptee. She was born on December 29. When I brought her home on the 19th, she weighed in at 273 grams. That's huge compared to Dusty's 226 at the same age. I have the feeling, Fuzzbutt is going to have company at the biggest pig level. Poor Dusty will be the runt of the three, heeheehee.

We brought Belle home on Friday, and because she'd been housed with some of the same guinea pigs, I decided to check her last night for any fungal spots. Low and behold, I found three. So she now gets the same treatment as Dusty.

Gentizol topical once daily.

ImageBelle 2 weeks old Jan 12

She's actually a lot more red, than the lighting shows but you can see some of her coloring. She is incredibly sweet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:28 am

Belle is adorable! I hope the likely fungus clears up completely.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:27 pm

We found this lump under Belle's ear. It's very like the one on Dusty's nose, except Belle's is red (likely skin pigment?). Both lumps are in or near fungus patches. Both lumps remind me of warts, and are 2 or 3 centimeters tall.Dusty's is on her nose near her eye. I'm making a vet appointment but I'd like your opinion of considering them part of the fungal infection. Dusty's doesn't seem to be clearing up although the rest of the patches (without lumps) are doing well, as are Belle's lump. Here's a photo of Belle's. Her eye is to the left and the dark patch on the right is her ear.

ImageBelle lump under ear #2 1.29.18

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:38 pm

Belle is so cute! I hope she and Dusty heal completely.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:54 pm

I can't see it too well. If it is a wart, sometimes they even go away on their own.

For what it's worth, do look really closely to make sure they are not ticks (perhaps an unusual suggestion but possible!).

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:52 am

Yes, I've looked closely. They have not moved, I first noticed Dusty's about 2 weeks ago or when she was diagnosed. I didn't notice Belle's until a couple of days ago. We all go to the vet today.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:08 am

I believe some warts are actually contagious. So maybe related?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Vet seems to think the lumps are related to the fungus, which by the way, all 3 pigs now have. We found the "lesions" on Fuzzbutt's back - between her shoulders. So medicating everyone until all "lesions" are gone and fur starts to grow back. The area on Belle's nose is much larger than I originally thought. :'( Must be careful when applying medication to her and Dusty's noses/near eyes. Doing some kind of culture that involves all pigs' hairs - 5 days to 3 weeks out.

Sheesh, first ringworm with the cats now this. The next time someone hears me say "I want another dog/cat/guinea pig" please shoot me. Not sure the Mr. will let me survive another $300+ vet bill anyway.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:48 am

Belle was also treated with Revolution in case of mites. Does this need to be repeated? I forgot to ask the vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:58 pm

Did you see any improvement in any of them? If you possibly did, it wouldn't hurt to retreat. Revolution is supposed to be a one-time thing but some mites need multiple treatments, if she had any.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:14 am

It's been less than 48 hours so I can't say if there is an improvement in scratching. I didn't really notice a lot of scratching going on in the first place. My decision to apply Revolution was "just in case".

I do see improvement in all three since I started the Gentizol, but poor Belle seems to be the slowest to improve.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:32 am

Belle is almost completely clear of bare spots. Even the areas on her ears are clearing up, slowly but surely.

I have 3 questions:

She still has some black areas on her nose where the fungus was. Will these go away?

At what point do I quit treating? I can still see where the worst of the fungus was, but those areas are also growing hair back, it's just shorter than the areas around and the skin tone maybe dark. Do I still keep treating until the hair is completely grown out?

Last but not least, I discovered lumps under both her and Dusty's chins. I can't really tell if they are associated with the fungal infection since they don't appear to be missing any hair. Are lumps usually associated with fungal infections? Or are these more likely to be something congenital? They were born a week or 10 days apart but from the same "family". Is this a question for the vet since it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to get a picture of?