Bee 's Medical thread

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi, again!

Either something is going through my herd or I have another pig with scurvy. She's a sow, probably a year old and fairly weak. I gave her hay to possibly boost her appetite but she won't eat the oranges I gave her (she never really liked them anyways). I'm going out to get parsley and yellow peppers ASAP, anything else you recommend? The roads to the vet are too icy to use right now, but they should clear from tomorrow's rain.

Thanks!
Edward

[Title edit - was "Weak Sow" -- Lynx]

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:05 pm

I forgot to mention she did indeed eat a bit of hay. She has cagemates, should I remove them for the time being?

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:00 pm

I gave her the yellow bell pepper and parsley, she nibbled on the parsley but ate quite a bit of the pepper. Anything else you recommend?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:14 pm

What do you feed her on a regular basis?

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:25 pm

About a third cup of Mazuri cavy diet daily, and as much water as she wants. I also give them parsley and peppers every so often, and hay.

However I just checked on her and she's breathing crackily and has eye discharge so I suppose it's a URI. I have VetRx on hand (I got it for some rabbit ear mites), will that help until the ice clears? It mentions respiratory care on the packaging.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:50 pm

They need a cup each of fresh veggies every day, and bell pepper should be fed every day. It's the best source of vitamin C you can give. Red or green leaf lettuce is another good choice.

The VetRx is useless, as well as being a waste of money. I'd get her to a vet tomorrow for sure.

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:57 pm

Alright. I've used the Mazuri for years without problems but I'll try to source more vegetables for them. Nothing else I can do for URI in the meanwhile?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:35 pm

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:49 pm

The Mazuri isn't a bad pellet, as pellets go. A little high in calcium. Oxbow and KMS Hayloft are better, but Mazuri isn't crap like some of the others. But they need veggies for the fresh vitamins.

And there's not much to do for a URI except go to the vet. If she has trouble breathing, you could put her in the bathroom with a hot shower running and moisten the air a bit.

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:21 pm

So I've quarantined her because I may have found the source of any scurvy/weakness. One of her cage mates, a 2 year old Abyssinian doe, shoved her away from the water when she tentatively went for it. I have her in a nice big carrier we converted for quarantining and she's eating some hay, all fingers crossed she can make it through the night. Thanks for all your help!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:49 pm

One of her cage mates, a 2 year old Abyssinian doe,...
A doe? Female guinea pigs are called sows (a term which you used correctly earlier in the thread).

I hope separating her makes the difference! Hopefully you will be able to set up a really big cage and do proper introductions later.
www.guinealynx.info/companionship.html

I would continue to weigh daily to see if she recovers. If she is ill, you'll need to see a vet asap.

Do remember to keep posts about a single guinea pig all together in one thread.

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Whoops! I meant to say sow, wonder how I didn't catch that earlier. I raise rabbits as well so that's probably where that came from.

Also, I have kept all the same threads from the same guinea pig in one post per pig, sadly the winter has claimed two others so far. Hopefully she'll get better. I'm keeping an eye on how much she eats/drinks, and trying to source a calorie supplement like CriticalCare. So far she seems to be alright.

Thanks again for all your help!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:37 pm

Does your sow have a name? I can add it to the title so you can find it more easily.

I was thinking maybe a doe was a female rabbit but was a little fuzzy on that.

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Yeah, her name is Bee (short for Beatrice).

Also, I talked to a person at the feed store who raises guinea pigs and she recommended a space heater on a low heat so that Bee doesn't have to heat herself and can conserve energy. I did that and she perked up a bit, just trying to get her to regain her strength.

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:07 pm

I'm confused I don't think she has scurvy, I think it's a URI correct? She needs a vet and the cage mate is doing what animals do, trying to survive. She knows Bee is sick and was trying to make her demise quick so she doesn't get sick also, if I am reading this right.

I hope you can get her to a vet quick. Good luck with the ice

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 pm

No, she definitely was malnourished from being bullied from other pigs. So far the quarantine is helping a ton, I've got C in her water and she's eating parsley and hay.

I've only found one dropping (she's been digging in the bedding a lot so I assume there's others that are buried), it's pale and shaped a little different but it doesn't smell of diarrhea, so I'll keep an eye on that. Her breathing isn't crackly anymore, that was probably hay dust (but I'm definitely keeping an eye on that too).

From what I've read and seen guinea pigs don't seem to have the ant mentality where they'll kill off sick members, at least not in my herd. Also, I've been watching the culprit and she's a bully to the rest of Bee's old cage mates too.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:01 am

Don't put vitamin C in the water. In the presence of light, it degrades to nothing within a very short time, and then all you've got is funny tasting water.

What kind of C are you using? If it's a tablet, you can crush it and dissolve it in a little water and syringe it to her. Or, if she'll eat veggies, sprinkle a crushed tabled on the veggies.

Or, you can buy VitaDrops liquid vitamin C (it's stored in a opaque bottle, so no exposure to light), and either sprinkle that on veggies or syringe it to her.

She'll get far more vitamin C with less excess calcium from bell peppers than from parsley. Too much calcium can put a pig at risk of painful, expensive bladder stones.

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:05 am

Yes, I'm using bell peppers over parsley. She prefers the parsley, but I've been slivering peppers for her to eat also. As for the C, I've been using the VitaDrops you recommended and refreshing the water quite often, though syringing is probably a good idea.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:31 am

Just so you know it's useless to put the drops in the water bottle. Within half an hour, you've got nothing but water. It's a waste of money, and doesn't do the pig any good. Unless you're only putting a teaspoon of water in the bottle, making sure the pig drinks it, and changing it within a half hour, it's doing no good at all.

Erinspigs

Post   » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:03 am

No they aren't going to kill of sick members, not what I meant but they will often isolated them which means they can't get to food or water as easily, as you've mentioned and seen.

32 posts