Bee 's Medical thread

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:29 pm

Definitely making sure she's eating/drinking and that it all comes back out. Haven’t gotten her to a vet yet but I’ll see about that soon.

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:09 pm

So I'm going to try and get her into the vet on Monday, because right now she's still eating/drinking. She's still very wobbly but much less eye and nose discharge and no raspy breath or any other breathing problems. In the meanwhile I'm getting her as much vitamin C as possible with yellow bell peppers and a bit of parsley and other things she likes. She's also been eating a lot of hay and some of her actual diet, so that's good I guess. Do you guys think it's possible I didn't quite fully treat the scurvy the first time and now it's come back? That's the only thing I can think of besides a possible ear infection which would cause wobbliness as well.

Thanks!
Fred

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:46 pm

If you are giving a good diet, there should be no issues with a lack of vitamin C. It is much more likely she has a URI or the ear infection you suggest.

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:44 pm

Right, after watching her all day I’m fairly sure it’s an ear infection. She was doing the clicking/grinding her teeth in pain and the wobbling/head tilt is really her only symptom. I’m going to try and get her to the vet tomorrow but in the meantime I’ll look in my homeopathic veterinary medicine book for a temporary solution. She’s not got too bad of a head tilt, too, so if I catch this now it may stop it from developing. I do have another pig that I rescued with head tilt and she’s doing just fine, maybe they’ll get along now! I’ll let you know what the vet says if I manage to get her to one tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your help!
Fred

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Let us know how it goes at the vet.

Magician

Post   » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:18 am

How did it go at the vet's?

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:22 am

Hi, all!

I'm so sorry I forgot to reply! I've been so busy here it completely slipped my mind. I wasn't able to take her to the vet since my money came in less than I'd expected so I wasn't able to afford the vet after all the bills this time. In the meanwhile, however, I'm watching and weighing her. She's maintained a healthy weight for her size, and she still eats a normal amount of pellets and hay, plus drinks a lot too. She seems to eat her cecal pellets too. Her head tilt and wobbliness haven't gotten any worse, and they don't really affect her living any more. Do you guys think it's possible that she maybe had an ear infection that came and went and did it's damage? Or maybe the vestibular disease? She doesn't seem uncomfortable at all, or in any pain.

Thanks!
Fred

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:46 pm

We can't answer your questions (you'd have to see a vet for that) but I'm happy she is doing more or less okay. I take it you are weighing regularly?

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:54 pm

Definitely checking her weight regularly and watching how much she eats.

Mdspark

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:00 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I have seen several inquiries and comments about the use
and effectiveness of VetRx. It was suggested to me by several along time rabbit breeders as being well known for supportive therapy for rabbits and other small furries. It helps congestion and, as we all know that if a URI is caught early, supportive therapy including warmth, extra vitamins/high nutrition, etc. the animals immune system is able to fight it off.

Poultry breeders have used it extensively as well. Infact the boxes are marked specific to species ... Poultry/pet birds, Rabbits, Puppy/Dogs, Small Furry Animals including mice, Rats, Guinea Pigs, Minks, Lemmings. The formulation of vetrex is the same for all. In other words, even though it may say “For Poultry” on the box, is can be used for all species listed above. Give the ingredients listed, I knew it was save. So I figured it wouldn’t hurt and would at least make my GP more comfortable. My pig had watery eye, some nasal discharge, breathing noise. I could see her left nostril closed. I had an antibiotic on hand if she stared to worsen. I’m glad I didn’t have to use it. Oh, her cage mate was, of course, treated simultaneously.

I have nothing to do with the company that sells it. Just wanted to pass along what I hope is useful information.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:17 pm

I looked at the ingredients and they look rather herbal. One danger we find is people recommending things that don't take care of the medical issue - many of which require the appropriate antibiotics.
Active Ingredient(s): Made with 3.3% (v-v) alcohol U.S.P. The mixture contains Canada balsam, camphor, oil origanum, oil rosemary, blended in a corn oil base.
A few UKer guinea pig owners have occasionally used herbal remedies but it would be rare to have vets in the states recommend products like these, especially if what is really needed is an antibiotic.

Mdspark

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:53 pm

In my post I stated I use it in supportive therapy.
Of course it shouldn’t preclude needed antibiotics. It is used like we humans use Vicks Vapor Rub. To ease breathing. Not to “cure” anything. I apologize if my post was unclear or confusing.