Rosie's Med Thread

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:23 pm

Did you shampoo her? Or is the flaky stuff just gone?

Annapox

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:27 am

I haven't shampooed her yet. I had to order both the shampoo and the ivermectin from Amazon, and they should be arriving sometime next week. But I can't see any flakes anymore.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:41 am

Then I wouldn't do anything until I saw more symptoms.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:12 pm

I do think a shampoo wouldn't hurt, though, and could help. If you saw dandruff, there is likely still dandruff in the hair. It shows up most clearly on dark haired guinea pigs.

Annapox

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Rosie is dark-haired, at least the back half of her. Two days ago I very clearly saw flakes on her butt, and now I don't see any. I'll keep a close eye on her, though. I can't do anything until the shampoo arrives anyway.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:56 pm

What you can do is give her a few scritches on her butt and see if the skin flakes off. If not (and if you see no scratching), perhaps the flakes were just on the surface and came from somewhere else.

Annapox

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:35 am

Well, I tried it, and I didn't see any flakes. All I got was the usual "please don't touch me there" sound. I haven't seen an abnormal amount of scratching, either. Rosie did seem a bit itchy a couple days ago when the flakes were visible, but not anymore.

Annapox

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:48 am

I weighed Rosie on Monday, and she had lost 54.3 grams over the past week. I had been away from Sunday morning to Monday morning, so about 24 hours (my housemate fed my guinea pigs while I was away), and when I cleaned the cage on Monday afternoon, I found a completely flattened dead mouse in a pile of discarded hay. I assume the mouse was living in the hay field and got scooped up when the hay was harvested. Also, I ran out of veggies on Friday and wasn't able to get a ride to the grocery store until Monday on my way home. So it's possible that Rosie was just stressed, but it's also possible that she's sick. I weighed Rosie again today, and she's gained back 25.7 grams.

There's been no change in Rosie's demeanor, and she still eats just as eagerly as before. Her cage mate, Penny, lost about 14 grams over the course of the week, so I doubt Penny is hogging the food or anything.

So my question is: Should I just keep an eye on Rosie's weight for a few days and see what the overall trend is, or should I bring her in? I don't want to stress her out with an unnecessary vet visit if she was just stressed about my absence, finding a dead thing in her food, and the lack of veggies. But I don't want to assume this is nothing and end up with a seriously sick piggy.

My previous guinea pig, Willow, was very sick for a good six months before she passed away, so I can't tell if I'm being a little too jumpy because of that experience.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:25 pm

I'd just keep an eye on her. If she's gaining again, and eating/pooping normally, there's probably nothing to worry about.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Weights do vary. I would weigh daily right now to put your mind at ease.
www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html