GUINEA PIG HAS DRIED BLOOD AND SCABS PLEASE HELP!

bazandbarrow

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:53 pm

I've had my guinea pigs for 5 months and both of them have been scratching really badly for the past few weeks. I noticed one of them had dried blood and what looks like are scabs all over his body. The day I discovered the dried blood scabs I looked it up online and it looked similar to all the pictures of guinea pigs who had Mange mites however I went to the vets and they think he has ringworm. I haven't booked the appointment as they said they would do many procedures (skin scraping which I heard is painful). I bought the Anti-Parasite Ivermectin Spot On for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs by Beaphar and applied it on the same day on both my guinea pigs. When I applied it they stopped scratching for a few hours however now they have continued to still scratch. Do I get the Hypocare Wound and Skin Care for Pets and Equine to make the scabs go away and the Anti-Fungal Spray? Please help.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Beaphar Spot-On is not strong enough to kill mites. And don't use any spray on a guinea pig, or any animal that grooms itself.

The most likely cause is mites. If you can find .5% pour-on ivermectin or 1% injectable ivermectin, either can be used to put on the skin of the guinea pig to treat for mites. Let us know if you can find it, and the weights of your pigs, and we'll give you a dosing chart.

You'll have to dose three or four times, 7 days apart, to hit all the life cycle of the mites.

It takes a few days for the medicine to take effect, so I'm not surprised that they're still scratching.

bazandbarrow

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:02 pm

There are only the ivermectin pipettes available which I used a week ago. I still have two left over when I bought it as it came in a pack of four. Their weight is over 300g. What do I do about the scabs?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:17 pm

The scabs will fall off when the underlying skin has healed -- you don't need to do anything about them.

Did you actually read my post? The stuff you have is not strong enough to kill mites. You need a stronger formulation of ivermectin, which you'll have to purchase somewhere.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:23 pm

Provide the info on the pipettes. Compare with the dose they should be getting, 0.5mg/kg (your pigs are smaller). It is possible that using two pipettes per guinea pig would give the dose you need but I don't have the data so I don't know.

Refer to this for calculating dose:
www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:42 am

You can also take them to a guinea pig knowledgeable vet and get them treated with revolution. But you need to do something quickly as they sound in desperate condition and pigs can die from mites if it is left too long.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:46 am

Ditto WICharlie. Don't fool around.

I am going to move this to the medical forum since it is a medical thread.

bazandbarrow

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:17 pm

Thank you for the help. I will get the things you have suggested me.

Erinspigs

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:53 pm

Another Ditto to WICharlie, I was thinking the same as I read your post. The vet sounds like the old kill a mosquito with a sledgehammer type.