Re-occurring bladder issues

Quantumgnomes

Post   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:53 am

My three year old sheltie piggie Dexter has had re-occurring bladder issues for about a year and a half now.

He has chronic UTIs, inflamed bladder lining, bladder sludge and had an enlarged prostate. He’s had countless x-rays to rule out stones. He’s had his bladder flushed and had exploratory biopsys taken. We had him neutered to help with his enlarged prostate.

To help with his bladder problems we changed him to a low calcium diet, no grain pellets and syringe him water. He is on medication daily of cystease, tramadol and metacam. He’s currently on a course antibiotics and has become resistant to baytril.

The vet doesn’t want to operate on him again as she doesn’t think he’d make it. It’s very much keeping him comfortable. Which we were doing until we’ve spotted a lump in his groin area. He was neutered six months ago so I don’t think it could be related to that. His pain is breaking through all the painkillers and although he’s still eating and mostly happy I hate seeing him in pain.

We saw a new vet who basically hinted that it was time to let go. She didn’t examine him. Just gave us antibiotics. Then we found the lump the next day. He’s getting a UTI a month and we’ve spent over £2000 in the last year. I’ve got him in to see our regular vet Thursday and to look at this lump. I just can’t bring myself to let go. Have I done too much? Is it time? I love the little guy to bits and I can’t bring myself to even ask our regular vet. All I know is I can’t put him through surgery again, it’s not fair and he doesn’t do well with anaesthetic. I don’t know what I’m asking, I’m rambling but does anyone have any similar experience or advice?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:06 pm

I don't know about the lump. Is that what's causing the pain? Our old girl, Pepper, is on chloramphenicol for the rest of her life. Nothing else keeps the bladder infections away, but it can be harmful to humans so we use vinyl gloves when dealing with it. She also gets a subcue every other day to keep her bladder flushed, mainly for stones I think. Good thing my husband can do it, because I couldn't. When we stop the chlor or when we've used bactrim or baytril, we see blood in the cage & she obviously doesn't feel good.

But if it's the lump causing discomfort --- that's always a tough call. It's so hard to let them go. I guess it depends on the degree of pain he's in, if you can figure that out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:18 pm

Yes, other antibiotics might help. Has your guinea pig ever been on trimethoprim sulfamethoxizole? (Bactrim in the states) It is well tolerated and might keep down the infection. I understand how hard this is, having a guinea pig experiencing pain.

The lump you found could still be related to the neuter. We have had guinea pigs develop problems many months post neuter. The inguinal ring must be closed. Sometimes abscess pockets develop so don't rule it out as a possibility.

Are you syringing extra fluids or giving subcutaneous fluids? www.guinealynx.info/subcue.html They can help with sludge. We have some links to people who have managed their guinea pigs with interstitial cystitis (painful).
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... p?f=3&t=21

I am sorry you and your guinea pigs have been struggling with these issues for so long.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:27 pm

If im not too late, I'm from Scotland too and know of a few good vets around the country depending on which area you're in. One of my pigs doesn't do well on Baytril either and is on what Lynx has suggested. Known here as Sulfatrim (16 mg/ml + 80 mg/ml)

I had several problems with my boar after he was neutered so I can sympathise.