I been syringe feeding him critical care since Monday. Wednesday I took him to a vet and had X-rays and oral exam done which showed zero teeth issues or abscesses. His belly way full of air though from swallowing air, I guess when he tries to eat on his own. He was put on antibiotics, gut stimulater and a pain/inflammatory medicine. Thursday I got him into his regular exotic pet vet and he also couldn’t see anything wrong with his teeth or mouth. No clue as to why he wouldn’t chew and swallow real foods. He added a probiotic and gas drops to the list of meds to counteract the antibiotic killing off good bacteria in his gut.
Friday morning he wasn’t eating very well at all and then by the afternoon he had developed that weird white residue inside his mouth again. It almost looks like the top layer of his mouth skin is peeling off. Like maybe when you have an allergic reaction to something. His reg vet said to stop the antibiotics. I did as obviously the white film happening again shouldn’t have after 3 days on antibiotics if it was a bacteria problem.
Today his mouth is clear again and he is eating a lot more. I’ve probably syringe fed him more today then I have the entire last week however he still can’t eat on his own. He tries...and he nibbles off minuscule bites off lettuce and celery but I don’t think he’s swallowing it. I think it just sits in his mouth till I feed him next.The only thing besides fungal I can think of is maybe an allergic reaction to beet greens which he did have for the first time Saturday evening. My other pig which eats and lives in same cage remains perfectly fine. Thanks!
- And got the T-shirt
A pig that's eating nothing else needs 100+ cc. of Critical Care or pellet slurry for every kilogram it weighs, every day, divided into 6-8 feedings per day. Adjust up or down according to the pig's weight, and down if it's eating anything on its own.
I think I'd want to try an oral antifungal medication. I don't usually recommend them, but if the problem is in the pig's mouth, there's really no other way to give it.
Are you seeing an exotic vet?
Fungal infections of the mouth in guineas can be identified by a particular yeasty odor, compared to smell of grain or fruit fermentation.
Real graphic picture here: