Guinea Pig hair thinning and flaky skin but cage mate is perfectly fine

sushiroll

Post   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:28 pm

I've had my boar for almost a year now and 5 months ago I noticed he's been scratching here and there but didn't pay much attention because I knew that he didn't have mites because he was a lone pig for quite some time before I got him his brother (around October). Late November to early December I noticed that the first boar's hair was starting to thin in one of his rosettes (bum area) and flakiness was starting a bit too. What do you guys think I should do? I'm thinking of ordering Ivermectin but it's hard to get from where I live. Vets in my area only specialize in cats and dogs.

Is it possible that it isn't mites since his cage mate has no scratching/flakiness whatsoever? What should I do?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:50 pm

The fact that he was alone doesn't mean he couldn't have mites. Every thing's got mites, even you and me, and all guinea pigs have them. Most of the time, the body can keep them at bay, but occasionally they get out of hand.

There should be plenty of ivermectin in Japan -- it's widely used in humans in developing countries to treat parasites, and a Japanese scientists was one of the major players in that use. Google "ivermectin in Japan" without the quotes and you'll get a bunch of hits.

Look under the "Brand Names" section of this link to find other names for it worldwide: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivermectin

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:22 pm

There are several race tracks and polo fields in Japan and horses are also treated with ivermectin. I do not know if it is over the counter in Japan as it is in the states, but since there is a substantial horse population there has to be ivermectin.