Sudden death of new piggy :(

mandybc

Post   » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:46 pm

My family and I bought a guinea pig almost a week ago and she died suddenly today. I had taken her out of her cage and was letting her run around on my bed when I noticed she was breathing strangely. She kept opening her mouth wide and closing it over and over. My husband thought she might have had the hiccups and could’ve been anxious because our kids were around so we placed her back in her cage. When we checked on her again 30 minutes later, she was lifeless. I am heartbroken and just don’t understand why this happened. Does anyone have any idea what she could’ve died from? We got two new piggies and a new big cage for them and I just want to make sure I do everything I can to keep them safe and happy. I am thinking she was probably sick when we got her, but I just don’t know :(

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:06 am

I'm very sorry you lost her.

There's really no way to know without having a necropsy done. It sounds like choking could have been a possibility. Had she had anything unusual to eat? Or could she have gotten to something she shouldn't have eaten?

mandybc

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:09 am

Not that I’m aware of :( I also noticed after she passed that she hadn’t eaten much of her hay that I had put out for her today.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:13 am

I am so sorry you lost her.

mandybc

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:59 am

Thank you for your condolences. I didn’t get much time with her but I’ll remember her, always.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:28 am

The mouth opening and closing makes me think of agonal breathing - she may have not choked on anything. I'm so sorry you lost her. What a shock.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 am

Good point, Pooksied Animals.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:34 am

I'm very sorry you lost her. A lot of love can happen in a week. We're for you.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1