Eye growths

gkdonovan

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:37 am

Hi everyone,

I have just taken my pig to the vets as her eye has a lump in the bottom eyelid.

The vet advised that my pig has some little growths (you can see he lump is bigger when you pull down the lower lid) and the option is to surgically remove the lid (but in her experience is very likely to grow back, this could even be in 3 weeks) or to leave it be.

The vet said if it left, it will grow bigger and be more difficult to remove, so removal of the eye would be likely, which can be a complicated surgery.

I have been given some isathal to apply to treat the infection.

I am looking for any other guinea pig owners, who have experienced these growths and whether you had surgery or not and the success of either option. Alternatively is there any other option?

I just don’t know what to do, my pig will be 5 in May so getting on a bit for surgery that will probably be pointless.

I have a picture, but not sure how to upload it via my phone.

Thanks x

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:31 pm

You have to host the picture on some site somewhere and link to it. Or can PM Lynx to get the address to send it to her, and she'll post it for you. Give her your board name and a link to this thread.

You could take a look at http://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html and see if anything looks like it. And I would like to reassure you that eye removal is not that complicated, and pigs generally do very well with only one eye.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:58 pm

I can post a picture for you but it might take a while. My power got knocked out. I am at the library right now trying to catch up.

You can send a clear crisp photo to me for later posting when I get my electricity back (the phone and internet are out too):

gkdonovan

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:24 pm

Thank you for offering to upload the pictures for me. I have sent you an email containing a couple of you wouldn’t mind adding them to my post.

Many thanks,
Grace.

gkdonovan

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Sorry that email address [see above] didn’t work. My email came back with the error that the address doesn’t exist.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:32 am

Double check or try resending. That is the standard email I use. I also use an image instead of writing it out so my email is not harvested for spammers.

I am still without power at my home. Running on a UPS for a few moments. It may be that power outages on the coast interfered. Trying again may work.

gkdonovan

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:04 am

http://s158.photobucket.com/user/gkdonovan/media/GP1.jpg.html

http://s158.photobucket.com/user/gkdonovan/media/GP2.jpg.html

Here are the links to the photos direct on Photobucket - I cannot seem to paste them into my post! I hope this works!

Thanks x

[Edit - here are your pictures -- Lynx]

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:21 am

That is strange. Are those hard nodules, or soft lumps?

I took a look at a pretty thorough discussion of human eyelid problems, and nothing like that was included.

Is there an exotic medicine department at your state's vet school? I'd contact them, if it were me.

gkdonovan

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:42 pm

They are soft pink lumps. When you pull the eyelid back you can see more of it underneath. I would describe it as the pink part inside her eyelid has pink tissue looking lumps on. It does look like some pictures I’ve seen of fatty eye, but the vet thinks they are tumour like growths. I’m thinking of calling them tomorrow to ask why she thinks they are growths as opposed to fatty eye and what the difference is.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:21 pm

Has anyone made any mention of squamous cell carcinoma?

Squamous cell carcinoma is a pretty common tumor of the eye that we see. I have seen it on the eye itself and the lids. We treat it by debulking or complete excision if it is possible and/or large enough. Then we usually treat it with a topical chemo treatment called 5FU.

An ophthalmologist may also be a good resource for diagnosis if an exotic vet is impossible to find, but I would be careful and educated about medications that they prescribe if they have no exotics experience.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:45 pm

It doesn't look like fatty eye to me, but I'm not a vet.

And I like CtC's recommendation for an ophthalmologist. Eyes are eyes are eyes, whatever the species!

11 posts • Page 1 of 1