Gassy/GI issues in young female

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 16, 2018 9:04 pm

I wonder if intestinal discomfort/pain could be the cause of her going off her food. I trust you have read www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html , no?
I hope you and your vet can sort this out.

Cuy

Post   » Thu May 17, 2018 1:13 pm

Yep. I printed out the diarrhea page and the digestion meds page since my usual vet wasn’t available, so Nala was seeing the ‘newer’ associate who is also trained in exotics but not as experienced. I did have this vet check with her usual vet between patients while I waited around and they gave her fluids and vitamin C.

They are doing the fecal float, gram stain, and culture, and decided not to RX any antibiotics until the results are in since she went off her food so quickly on the metro, and since her poops are formed, but still very squishy and somewhat stinky.

For now until the tests come back, they recommended to remove pellets (KMS) to encourage just timothy. Nothing else besides liquid C. She said I can do a probiotic if I want which you would encourage, right? I am honestly terrified of getting anything in that gut. She also gave me metacam but I’m also kind of scared of that since they said to give it with food and she didn’t seem to have eaten last night (not a lot of poop this morning). I heard her squawk twice today which is comparatively a lot less than yesterday or Tuesday. She’s actually grazing on hay really well now which is so great to see.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 17, 2018 4:42 pm

Probiotics are actually pretty benign. Kind of, "they may help" and "they are unlikely to hurt".
www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

Cuy

Post   » Thu May 17, 2018 7:26 pm

The vet called and said that one of the tests already came back normal. We also spoke about switching Nala from KMS to Sherwood so I’m willing to give that a try after reading the thread on here about it. I ordered it 2 day shipping so should be here by the time she is ready to start pellets again. I really hope that it is an improvement. I’m concerned about the alfalfa aspect of the Sherwood formula but I guess one thing at a time.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 17, 2018 7:39 pm

If it is any consolation, all guinea pig pellets that I know of have added calcium. If the Sherwood pellets do not actually add any additional calcium (a necessary mineral), it could be the alfalfa, as a natural source, is taking the place of additives. I don't know.

Cuy

Post   » Sat May 19, 2018 11:39 am

The label says it has ‘monodicalcium phosphate’? I have no idea what that is. I have to ask them about it. The pellets get here today so we’ll start them slowly when they arrive. I have finally made a guinea contact in my area (Nala is a loner as she is aggressive) so I now have a source for poops in case I ever need soup. Her poops have finally assumed bean shape and approaching more normal firmness after four days of only hay. I was really disappointed to see points again last night, the first points in 2 days, and racked my brain- the only thing I could possibly think of is the handful of hay I had given her an hour or two earlier was the ONLY handful or hay in several days that had seed heads. Just a couple seed heads was enough to irritate her tummy that much. Thankfully the poops are back to bean-shaped this morning.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 19, 2018 12:31 pm

It's a source of calcium and phosphorus in pet foods.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 19, 2018 12:38 pm

The monodicalcium phosphate is your added calcium. You might ask them if they have precise data on calcium content.

Hopefully the pellets will work for you.

Cuy

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Hi again, Nala was just spayed this afternoon (she had an ovarian cyst and a uterine mass that was causing bleeding) so I’m hoping to get advice.

I just brought her home about an hour and 10 minutes ago. She was eating hay up until about 20 minutes ago but now is sitting puffed up with her eyes squinted and grinding her teeth. When I touch her shoulders lightly, I can feel her vibrate lightly and rhythmically (not the angry vvvvvvvv, but a body vibrate). I know these are all signs of pain. She was on an IV all afternoon that had pain medication in it (I apologize, I forgot the name but it was not a narcotic) and is not due for a dose of Gabapentin until 8pm.

I know she just had major surgery, and her vet is now closed so wanted to come here for some feedback because it’s scary. I am trying to resist the urge to rush her off to the ER where I know they probably won’t do anything. Thanks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 pm

Your best bet is to read all of Talishan's advice, linked to and/or included on these pages. She has a couple long topics in the Records forum that are linked to from these pages too:

www.guinealynx.info/postop.html
Further info under:
TALISHAN'S POSTOP ADVICE & PAIN MANAGEMENT

Cuy

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:50 pm

Thanks, Lynx. Nala has had a complicated recovery so far- she was prescribed TMS 48 mgml 0.5cc once a day on Thursday because she chewed one of her incisions open. Today, I had to take her to a different vet because she has nasal discharge and she was prescribed Marbofloxacin 20mg/ml 0.22ml once daily. I asked and was told they are safe to give together and at the same time and that the Marbo should not have GI effects. Does anyone have experience giving these two together and what GI effects Marbo will have (ie are they similar to enrofloxacin)?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:57 pm

I don't know how the Marbofloxacin will affect her, but do let us know.