Prolapsed rectum - vet tomorrow - what to do for now?

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:35 am

My first post here so apologies if I do something wrong, I’m just very stressed at the moment.

My darling boy Wombat is a pedigree Rex who’s just over five weeks old. He’s had a URI for a while and has been on antibiotics, gaining plenty of weight and a very happy little boy despite his snotty nose.

However I woke up this morning at 8:30 to check on him (it’s 4:30pm now, I’ve been at work all day) and he has a prolapsed rectum. I booked him in to see the vet first thing at 8am tomorrow as that was the soonest they could see him. They said if I brought him in today they would just leave him in the cage overnight and work on him in the morning so I figured he’s better off at home here with me.

It is probably 2.5cm long and doesn’t seem too sore, however he is occasionally dragging his back legs behind him instead of walking properly.

I gave him a bath in sugar water at the breeder’s recommendation and put honey on it. He has been at home eating but not pooping, not that I can find anyway.

I’ve changed all his bedding so he’s just on soft towels, he has access to food and water which he seems keen on, but is there anything else I can do for now to keep him more comfortable? If I could get him to a vet sooner I could but it’s sunday night and I know nothing can really happen for now.

Anybody have any home remedies? Advice? Just want to make sure he is comfortable and safe until we get to the vet in 15 hours. Thank you in advance every body.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:02 am

It is important that you do not let the the area dry out. Bowel dries very quickly. Do you have any metacam for discomfort?

Unfortunately there is not a whole lot that you can do at home and the longer the bowel is prolapsed, the worse the prognosis becomes.

Contributor in 2018

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:03 am

Prolapsed rectum is usually associated with diarrhea.  Since you say he hasn't pooped, he may have a blockage.  Or he may be eating all of his poop, which is not uncommon if there is a GI upset.   What antibiotic is he on?

Sugar water is the only home treatment I have heard of using for a prolapsed rectum.  I think you're doing all you can to keep him comfortable until the vet visit.

Post   » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:38 am

Clint: thank you for that. It still seemed fairly moist this afternoon when I returned from work (honey must have helped) and I have just given him another half hour warm sugar bath. I’ll give him another one in five or six hours before I go to sleep. No I don’t have anything unfortunately. I’ve only had him for two weeks so I haven’t gotten on to any pain killer supplies yet. I would have today but it’s sunday and I couldn’t. However he doesn’t seem overly bothered by it; I can touch it to clean it and he don’t flinch or squeak.

Rufus: I think you may be right about the blockage. Noticed a tiny piece of plastic missing off one of his toys.

Slight update on his pooping though: as I just gave him a bath he dropped two tiny bloody lumps on the couch just before the bath. They were hanging out the end of the rectum (?)

He loves his sugar bath though, drank a little bit of it (I’ll keep the rest of his diet low in sugar now!) and is now cozy in his cage again.

Thank you for your replies I’m feeling much better.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1