Large lump on neck? Please help

Luaran

Post   » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:47 am

This morning I just noticed a large lump protruding from my guinea pig's neck. Recently my other guinea pig passed away and I believe my guinea pig isn't handling the lack of a friend well. I'm not sure as to what the lump is and can't see a small animal vet until monday or tuesday. The lump seems tender to touch but she can still eat and drink somewhat comfortably. She's a very skinny pig and doesn't eat that much as what I've found over the past 4-5 years I have had her yet I'm not sure if this could contribute to her current problem. Any advice or guidance on how to keep her comfortable and safe until a visit to vets would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to lose yet another pig :(

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:46 am

Neck lumps are very often cervical lymphadenitis -- see https://www.guinealynx.info/lumps.html and follow the cervical lymphadenitis link. She needs to see a vet ASAP.

If it ruptures, be aware that if it is CL, it's most likely a strep infection so take precautions. If it does rupture, flush it well twice a day with sterile saline to get as much of the pus out as possible. It needs to be kept open so it can heal from the inside out. If it seals over, it'll just keep recurring. But she'll still need an antibiotic.