Ringworm Treatment

emilykathryn

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:42 pm

I purchased my Chewie from PetCo on 2/24. This is my first guinea pig since I was in middle school, so I learned a lot more about how to care for her, what to purchase, etc.

As I was petting her on 3/7, I noticed a small scaly bald patch on one of her haunches (she usually protests if I got that far back and she didn't this time). I picked her up and examined her more and noticed that her feet looked dry and noticed another small patch on the front arm right up from her paw. I called Banfield as we normally take our cat there to see if they treated small animals or had a recommendation for someone who did. They said generally they only treat animals purchased there if they are in their "guarantee" window but I should call PetCo to see if they'd do the same. They said I had to relinquish my care of her to them and it would be about 1-2 weeks before I might see my guinea pig again or they could refer me to a vet. I went with option B and made an appointment for the following day.

The vet confirmed it was ringworm and recommended shampooing her daily for a week and then another week every other day and it wouldn't hurt to apply the topical cream after bathing. I asked a vet friend who felt that was excessive and also referred me to this site. I've shampooed her once and it was traumatic for both of us so I've been applying topical ringworm medicine twice a day and plan to bathe her once a week per the fungal link. I try to apply carefully and not get the cream on anything but her skin, but occasionally it gets the fur and she wants to clean it.

Does this seem right? Should I go with the daily bathing? Is it okay if she ingests any of the cream? Would it make sense to wrap it?

My daughter has been so excited to have a new furry creature in our house and it breaks my heart that she can't even cuddle her. Thanks for your help!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 pm

The topical medicine twice a day and shampooing once a week is much preferable to bathing every day.

I'd carefully cut the hair away from the areas and apply the cream sparingly with a q-tip, rubbing it in well. You don't want to do it with your hands, as you can get ringworm as well as the pig. And you don't want the pig to ingest any of it if you can help it.

Wrapping anything on a guinea pig is usually an exercise in frustration, both for you and the pig. I'd avoid it if at all possible.

Unfortunately, you've discovered part of the downside of buying a pig from a pet store. If you'd gotten two, we'd be telling you to turn them both over and compare the private parts, because the number of mis-sexed pigs sold by pet stores is astounding. As it is, since she's a sow, keep an eye on her for signs of pregnancy -- there's also an astounding number of pregnant baby females that are sold by pet stores.

emilykathryn

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Thank you!! Even though she protested a lot, I was able to cut back a lot of the fur. She still wanted to lick the cream, but I was able to rub a lot more into her front leg than normal. I'll keep a watch for any pregnancy signs. I feel so bad because last night all she wanted to do was cuddle up to my neck. :( May have to invest in some turtlenecks for the next month or so.

emilykathryn

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:03 pm

So now it looks like she has Cheilitis. I’ve been using clotrimazole twice a day on the spots and bathing her once a week (two baths now).

Her front spot seems to be growing back some fur and the back haunch is much less flaky.

Would I be better off trying the other kind of antifungal suggested? Do I need to take her back to the vet? Help! I now know any future piggies will not be coming from any big box store.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:16 pm

If she's improving, just keep on with the treatment.

emilykathryn

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:48 pm

Is it okay to put the clotrimazole on her nose/lip?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:56 pm

If you read the information that comes with the drug, there will be warnings if it is not to be ingested. You can also apply very sparingly.