Hibbert's medical thread - teeth problems and possible bloat?

calico88

Post   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:10 pm

@lawngnome78 and Lynx - thanks so much for the kind words. This has been an incredibly frustrating experience, particularly with getting the right vet. Any support is really appreciated.

Update:
I made arrangements with the best cavy vets in town, Gulf Coast Veterinary, specifically Dr. Antinoff. They certainly aren't cheap, but I decided that I better just go for the best than risk having to go to a *fourth* vet (I didn't mention the first one, he was nice but didn't do anything). Dr. Antinoff used a different dental examination tool than the previous vets and saw right away that Hibbert had an overgrown molar on his left side that was blocking his tongue. Finally! A real diagnosis! Because Hibbert was shifting his jaw to the right and was pulsing his left cheek, she also did a neurological exam, which basically requires poking each side of his face to test his reaction. Fortunately he passed, which meant that the jaw shifting wasn't a neurological issue but almost certainly due to the overgrown molar on the left side. She did the molar filing on Hibbert, which she said went well, and he is now recovering with pain meds and antibiotics. I don't know if the antibiotics are standard with molar filings, but Dr. Antinoff stated that he should continue the antibiotics that the previous vet prescribed.

The bit of good news is that as I was taking a few days to research and arrange for another vet, Hibbert was doing really well. He started eating chopped leafy vegetables by himself, was gulping down hay that I hand-fed to him, loved to roam around during free time, and squeaked for food often. The introduction of more solid foods was getting his previously tiny stool back to normal, and I had to up the amount I was syringe-feeding him to about 60 cc to maintain his weight, probably cause he was getting more fiber that was getting him to poop bigger stools.

It's been a day after the molar filing, which required sedation, and the poor pig isn't himself yet. He'll eat a bit of chopped romaine lettuce by himself, and has eaten a bit of hay himself as well, but hasn't called out for food. He doesn't really want to move. He doesn't struggle when I syringe-feed him like he was starting to (when he started eating some solids, he was *so* over the pellet goop!). From the vet's instructions and reading other tales of molar filings, this sounds normal for a few days. Does anyone have any experience on how long the recovery period takes? The vet also recommended I massage Hibbert's jaw. Is using an electric toothbrush much more effective than by hand?

I'm crossing fingers that Hibbert having to be sedated twice in 2 weeks didn't seriously damage him somehow. Ugh, I wish I knew to go to this last vet in the first place!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Did they give him any pain meds? It's very hard for even a good vet to keep from nicking the tongue/gum/cheek during a molar filing, so it's painful to eat for a few days.

I believe most pigs start to eat again by themselves after 2-3 days.

And I agree with you that Antinoff is the best exotic vet in town.

calico88

Post   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:36 pm

@bpatters- Hibbert does have Metacam. The previous vet had prescribed him 2 weeks worth after the last incisor filing, and said to use if needed. Hibbert didn't need it so I just saved it. Dr. Antinoff said to go ahead and use that Metacam now. I don't know how effective it is - Hibbert whimpers when he eats a bit of bell pepper - but at least he is swallowing his pellet slurry with no issues.

A fun note, Dr. Antinoff is actually allergic to guinea pigs so she had to wear a mask to examine Hibbert! That didn't stop her from providing great care. I believe Dr. Sue Chen is also one of the Gulf Coast vets that is an exotics expert.

Another note for any other Houstonians, I did ask the Animal Medical Center of the Village for information and they do molar filings as well. Based on their estimate, they would have been roughly $200 cheaper. I was just at the point of losing sanity so I went with the best in town to give Hibbert the best chance of finally getting over this soon.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:46 pm

I actually found Dr. Jordan at AMC of the Village because Gulf Coast referred me to him. I had a guinea pig with a bladder stone. Gulf Coast gave me an estimate of $1600-$2400 to remove it, and I just didn't have that kind of money for it. When I asked if I could do time payments or if they had other suggestions, they suggested I contact him. They'd had a number of referrals from him when he had a patient he wasn't comfortable treating, and they'd been impressed with his knowledge and care. I've been very happy with him.

calico88

Post   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:26 pm

Wow, that's an insane estimate! I've had a guinea pig undergo bladder stone surgery and it was more like $500. Good to hear that about Dr. Jordan. I plan on trying AMC of the village for future cavy vet needs after this particular issue is resolved.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Sounds like you will be weighing daily, hand feeding to maintain weight, and giving pain medication. It can take a while to eat on his own. I hope he gets better! I am also very glad you found a good vet.

calico88

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:25 am

Update - Unfortunately Hibbert hasn't improved much compared to before molar trim. He has a re-check exam scheduled today and we'll see what Dr. Antinoff says. Right now he's perky and seems like he doesn't have trouble eating anything he wants to, but he refuses to touch his pellets or hay. It's been a frustrating *fourth* week of syringe-feeding. Here's what happened this week in case this info becomes useful later:

Days 1-2 after molar trim: Sleepy during the day, a bit more active during evening. Would eat a bit of romaine lettuce and bell pepper.

Days 3 after molar trim: Started to eat blades of grass that I handed to him. Squeaked once in evening for food.

Days 4 -5: Started gagging more and more during syringe feedings, even though I hadn't changed the formula and made sure it was thick. He would cough up some of the slurry liquid. I switched to 100% pellet slurry (no critical care, which he never liked), and this helped some, though it's harder for me to syringe through. Would eat a bit of hay if either handed to him or mixed with something (like a basil leaf, or some grass). Improved activity level - started to demand food more in evening. Liked munching on grass for a little bit outside (own backyard, no pesticides).

Days 6-7: Not good. Appetite went down, and slightly decreased activity level. Lost 20 g. Would grab veggies or grass, nibble, but then just let go - if he was even interested. Not interested in grass outside. In a desperate move, I skipped his day 7 evening dose of antibiotics and gave him simethicone in case he was having bloat. He improved around evening of day 7 as he was perkier. I switched back to pellet and CC mix after a stuck syringe fiasco ended up with pellet slurry stuck on ceiling. Very little gagging issues.

Day 8: Improvement. Gained back 20 g. Activity level normal. Appetite good, though he wasn't eating anything he should be. He munched on grass for nearly an hour. Very interested in my potted plants (which I promptly moved away) and ate some of my seedlings (argh!). Not interested in his usual favorite veggies (would grab but never finish - and these are very small half-dollar size portions), but was happy to demolish 2 leaves of yu choy (Chinese leafy green veggie - kinda like spinach). He would have likely eaten more but I am careful not to give him very much outside of recommended veggies. Refused to eat hay, even though he is capable of eating it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:33 pm

I sure hope he does improve. I understand how frustrating it can be to get some guinea pigs eating again after a molar trim.

calico88

Post   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:24 pm

@Lynx - Thank you! March has been a crazy month for this pig and his frazzled caretaker.

Hibbert had his re-check exam and his teeth and everything else actually looks ok. Along with the general exam, Dr. Antinoff checked his jaw movement and his ears as ear infections can cause TMJ problems. He appears fully capable of eating anything he wants, but he isn't interested in his hay or pellets, which he used to practically inhale. The weird thing is that he was trying very hard to eat pellets and hay on his own a few days before his molar trim - now he can eat them, he won't! He got a blood test and they'll call me when they get the results. Dr. Antinoff agreed that Hibbert may have had a bad reaction to their chloramphenicol, as I got a refill from Gulf Coast on Day 3 or 4, so he's stayed off of the antibiotic since Saturday. The drug can be compounded differently by different pharmacies. I did notice that the physical appearance between the vials I've gotten between two vet offices are a lot different (one cloudy, one a pure Pepto-like pink).

To try to help his appetite, Dr. Antinoff injected him with something that is also used as an anti-inflammatory drug. I would report what it was, but I cannot remember the name (I think started with a "C") and their computers were acting up so I couldn't get an invoice with the info. When they call about the blood test results, I will ask. She said it should take effect for about 48 hours. Hibbert seemed a bit drowsy from the drug, but willing to eat. He did eat a pellet or two on his own and a bit of hay. He was unusually sleepy this morning when I woke up (he usually has that hungry look), but he still gobbled up lettuce after I syringe-fed him. Now he seems back to normal.

Unless the blood test turns up some conclusive answers, I think I'm dealing with a newly very picky eater now. I tried getting new timothy hay and orchard hay from Small Pet Select - his usual is KMS hayloft - and he's not interested. I can get him to eat a few blades by hand and I'll occasionally catch him with a blade in his mouth, but that's it. He is slowly able to eat more and more veggies and he loves grass more. If I grab a fistful of yard grass and stick it in his cage, it will eventually all disappear. I am of course still syringe-feeding him. I'm at a odd spot where I want to encourage his appetite to go up, but yet need to get him eating what he needs to be eating. I lock him up in the kitchen part of the cage with the hay and pellets overnight and it seems as if he would rather starve than eat it. I could use some advice here! I'm even looking into growing pans of grass.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:15 pm

Since it is spring, perhaps a handful or two of fresh, soft grass?

calico88

Post   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:55 pm

@Lynx - Yup, I've been giving him handfuls of grass as well as letting him have some yard time. His appetite for grass (and in general) is slowly growing, so he's getting properly adjusted to the grass and it doesn't seem to upset his stomach.

I'm happy to report that Hibbert's blood tests came back normal and his appetite is noticeably improving every day. He's eating more hay on his own, finishing his vegetable snacks, and is loving grass even more. I predict it will still take some time - maybe 2 weeks - for him to be able to eat completely on his own, but this improvement is very encouraging. I think his older age (he turns 5 this month), the antibiotic issue, being sedated twice in a month, and taking 3 weeks to finally get proper dental work done by an expert cavy vet is what is causing Hibbert to take a while to recover.

I forgot to ask about the drug that he was injected with to try to induce appetite. If anybody is really interested, I can call and ask.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:08 pm

Perhaps it is valium? (Diazepam)