Weight Loss After Fertagyl

MyckiCade

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:50 pm

Hello, again. I return with fresh questions, this time concerning my fluff, Kiwi. Miss 'Wi is female, living alone (she doesn't play well, with other pigs), and of undetermined age. We took her in, from a co-worker, who got her from someone who wasn't caring for her, very well.

A few months back, Kiwi was diagnosed with ovarian cysts. She started with crusted nipples, moved into aggressive habits, a bit of weight loss, and bi-lateral hair loss, and loss of hair over her spine. As we are unsure of her age, we opted for hormone therapy, before a spay.

Kiwi has received two injections of Fertagyl, two weeks apart, the last shot being two weeks ago. Since then, she seems healthier than ever, visibly. She's calling at us, for treats. She moves around, more, and even stands at the cage bars, when we go by. Her hair has grown back, and the sides of her abdomen have shrunk, considerably. For those results, we have been very happy!

However, Kiwi has lost four ounces, this last month. I expected to see a bit of loss, as the cysts shrank, but... I don't know how much to expect? She doesn't seem bony, or that she's experiencing loss of body quality. And, she's eating like a horse, which makes my heart happy. I am going to call the vet, in the morning. But, I wonder if anyone has had this happen, with their babies? If this would be considered a 'normal loss'?

Thank you, in advance,
Mycki

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:28 pm

How much did she way when you started the treatment?

Four ounces may be normal, given the circumstances. But I'd worry more about the loss of four ounces in a two pound pig than in a three+ pound pig.

MyckiCade

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:46 pm

She started at one pound, fifteen ounces, and has since come down to one pound, twelve ounces. (I just put her on the scale, so, I'll account the missing half ounce to an empty bladder). Kiwi is long, but, with a petite frame. I don't feel any pronouncement of spine, or ribs. And, as I say, she was out there, quite a ways, with those cysts. Either way, she will go in for a visit, if our vet wants to see her. Any little fluctuation just... makes me nervous, as heck. :/

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:03 pm

Sounds like a substantial loss. You are right the cysts may have accounted for some fluid weight. Let us know what the vet has to say.

MyckiCade

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:10 pm

Will do, without question. An ounce or two, I could sit with. But, this seems nuts. She's spunky, and seems comfortable, so, my fingers are crossed.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1