Limping piggy getting worse

NTQDN_2016

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:19 am

In February we took dumbo (little over a year old) to the vet because she was limping. Exotics vet said she broke her elbow because it was swollen and painful so she was put on meta cam for 21 days. She has finished that but now still isn’t using the front leg (the one she broke) or the hind leg on the same side... does anybody have any ideas as to what’s going on? Probably going to take her back to the vet, but still looking for any advice/ideas?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:27 am

Another vet? A broken elbow should have been splinted.

Did they x-ray to see whether the elbow truly was broken? And to check for arthritis?

If she's in a cage with other pigs, I'd put a divider in so her movement is restricted and her cagemates can't bother her. Don't totally separate them, just put up a divider in the same cage.

NTQDN_2016

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:57 am

Bpatters,
They said it was already healing so they never did anything besides the pain meds... and yes they did check for arthritis but just by a “feeling” test, no X-rays. They told us the X-rays would just be confirming what they already knew so they didn’t want to take them and spend our money if they didn’t need to. But they seemed super confident so I believe them since we’ve taken other GPs there in the past.

I am nervous about arthritis now though, Is there a way to tell if that’s what it could be? I feel really bad for her and am going to set up an appt tomorrow I think.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:37 am

An x-ray will tell.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1