Guinea pig bitting

Soniya

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:33 am

Guinea pig is bitten by other guinea pig. How many days it take to cure that wound without treatment?

Zaphy

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:33 am

Depends on how bad the bite wound is. If it's a surface scratch, it ought to heal up on its own after a couple days or so. If it is a large gash, it will take longer. Clean the wound thoroughly as soon as possible after it happens.

Guinea pigs have a lot of bacteria in their mouths and the risk for infection with a bite wound is high. If the wound is small and shallow, you can use antibiotic ointment (like Neosporin) to keep infection away. If you do use antibiotic ointment, use as small an amount as possible. If the guinea pig licks and eats it while cleaning itself, it can hurt their digestion and cause diarrhea.

If the wound is too large then you may need a veterinarian to prescribe antibiotics for it to fully heal. If a deep wound gets infected and then closes up on top of the infection, an abscess will grow which will require surgery plus antibiotics to fix. It is much easier and less expensive to take the guinea pig to a veterinarian for antibiotics now than to wait and have to see the veterinarian for antibiotics plus surgery later.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:17 pm

You can flush an open wound with a warm sterile saline solution to help it heal from the inside out.

minnesota92

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:42 pm

I have a young pig, just got her about a month ago. She is biting like crazy and hard! She wasn't like that at all when I got her. It's driving me insane especially because I got her for my boy pig after losing his little piggy love. I truly believe he loved her and he got depressed instantly when she died. So I got a new pig and she has been so difficult. It has especially been difficult because I'm in the processing of missing my gin and now jim has a uti from stress from gin dying.

How do you get them to stop biting? I have had no problems with guinea pigs biting before. I really don't think she like us (mostly me) she's better to my mom but chomped on her good today. I know when it happens, sometimes it has to do with food, but last weekend all I did was reposition her a tiny, tiny bit on my lap and she whipped around like a cat and bit me so hard. I started crying, and I'm 26 haha. But I'm getting frustrated with her doing this.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Treat her for mites. They can make a pig mighty cranky. http://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_topical.html

5 posts • Page 1 of 1