Loki's Medical thread

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:02 am

Not all antibiotics are effective against all organisms.

sharkbaithoohah

Post   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:25 am

@bpatters; yes that makes entire sense

Took Loki to my vet today. His urine is back to normal so he thinks it was just do to polyporphins from stress. He did a full exam including mouth and couldn't see anything wrong with him. Since his appetite and urine/poop output has gone down, he recommended that I stop the Baytril for a few days to see if it helps. He said some guinea pigs do well at first on Baytril and then start to go downhill after the first week. He also mentioned that he wouldn't have administered them in the first place, but understands some vets do as a precaution.

I have 4 more days of the Baytril, should I stop it early? Everything I have learned advises against it to prevent a super bug/abscess developing.

Also, I have KMS pellets coming in today in hopes that Loki will actually eat them. He still has not touched the Oxbow ones and wont eat anything besides carrot and lettuce. Is he missing out in any nutrients because of this?

Lastly, I noticed at the vet that Loki's to back paws were red and looked like they were peeling. I use all fleece bedding that I change daily so I don't know what could be causing it. My vet said it isn't normal but once I said I use fleece he didn't say anything else. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:34 pm

You would only stop the Baytril if it was affecting appetite and if your vet agreed. Otherwise, continue.

I think there are "liquid bandages" that you could apply to clean and dry paws that might protect them from urine on the fleece.

sharkbaithoohah

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:26 pm

@Lynx thank you for the response. My usual vet was the one who suggested taking off Baytril, not the one who did the neuter. I think his appetite is affected a little as he lost 18 grams from yesterday, but today is the last dose so I decided to finish them off.

Is fleece not a recommended bedding for kitchen areas? I use potty pads that I change 2x/day on top of my liner. I did have a Carefresh kithen before and will gladly switch back to it, if the bedding is better for the paws. I don't want my poor babies to have to have a protector on their paws.

For his paws can I put some silver cream on them? I know it is good for wounds.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:11 pm

I think any enclosed space that has bedding of any sort (even fleece) can hold pee somewhat and can irritate the foot pad. There is one plastic tile that allows the pee to drain completely away (linked to from this page: www.guinealynx.info/bedding.html ).

I think the silver cream would be fine.

I also have mixed feelings about foot issues and think about the possible benefits of "toughening the foot pad". Animals that run around outside have various abrasions to develop protective callouses. Guinea pigs in restrictive areas (not much running around) with soft bedding may have a more delicate and tender foot pad which could be more subject to urine scald. At least this is what I wonder about.

sharkbaithoohah

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:28 pm

I did decide to go back to a carefresh kitchen area, just because now that he is off the antibiotics he is peeing/pooping so much. Those tiles are interesting though.

I have been using the silver cream and his paws are looking better. I totally understand with what you are saying. I know my feet were a lot tougher when I ran around outside barefoot as opposed to now with shoes. It certainly is something to think about.

Oh and just and update, Loki is doing incredible. Now that he has finished antibiotics he is back to his spirited self. We had a follow up and despite the crusty appearance, his incisions are healing well. Thank you to all members for the advice!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:27 pm

That is great news! Thanks for the update.

sharkbaithoohah

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 5:58 pm

So another question, a week after introductions, I was doing a health check. I noticed Loki has a hole in the top of his ear (near the base of it). Looks like one of the girls bit straight through it :(.

After an initial freak out, I spent some time inspecting the area and didn't notice blood or anything. I am thinking of scheduling a vet appointment, but don't know if anything can really be done. Thankfully it doesn't seem to bother him any, and he lets me touch the area with no qualms.

Is there anything I can do for him? There isn't a chance the ear tissue will grow back is there?

If admin would change this thread to Loki's Medical thread, I would appreciate it!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 6:20 pm

The ear tissue may or may not go back. If there's no infection, I wouldn't do anything but keep an eye on it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 10:47 pm

I doubt anything can be done. Sometimes breeders put ear tags on ears that leave holes when they are removed.