Snuggles' medical thread

JX4

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Update: Snuggles has been on thyroid meds for a couple of weeks now and I can tell she is feeling MUCH better! She hasn't gained much weight back yet, and she's still losing hair, but I don't think she's been on the meds long enough to make drastic physical changes yet. But her MOOD is way better!

She's always been a laid-back pig, but now when I pick her up and hold her she purrs more readily and there is a little sparkle to her eyes that had faded before she was on the thyroid meds. It's back now, and she seems eager to be held and petted. She just seems to be in a better mood. It's hard to explain. So I think she is feeling way better even if physical characteristics aren't showing up as changing much yet.

So I think we're on the right track.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:37 pm

That is such good news! Glad to hear she is doing better!

JX4

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:40 pm

The only drawback is she doesn't like the taste of the meds. The flavors were made with dogs and cats in mind, and the only non-meat flavor they had was marshmallow. (Marshmallow? Really?) It was either that, or no flavor added. Because I really don't think she would like liver, chicken or beef.

We did choose marshmallow and she doesn't really care for it.

JX4

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:16 pm

I am sad to have to say that we came home from church this afternoon to find Snuggles dead. She had seemed to be doing well with the thyroid medication, gaining a little weight and having perked up and seemed happy. She seemed fine last night before I went to bed, when I gave her a treat that she eagerly took and ate.

She seemed OK when we left for church this morning, but we were gone for about 5 hours. Snuggles was my favorite since Panda passed away, and had always been my #2 even before that. She loved to snuggle in the crook of my neck and would alternate that with turning around and watching TV with me for over an hour or so quite contentedly. We are unsure of when her birthday was exactly, but we think it was in late August early September, so I'm guessing she just turned 4 years old.

I'm guessing there was more going on with her thyroid (maybe thyroid cancer?) than we realized. The other piggies (we now have four left) seem subdued and sad. I'm still in shock.

JX4

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:16 pm

I am sad to have to say that we came home from church this afternoon to find Snuggles dead. She had seemed to be doing well with the thyroid medication, gaining a little weight and having perked up and seemed happy. She seemed fine last night before I went to bed, when I gave her a treat that she eagerly took and ate.

She seemed OK when we left for church this morning, but we were gone for about 5 hours. Snuggles was my favorite since Panda passed away, and had always been my #2 even before that. She loved to snuggle in the crook of my neck and would alternate that with turning around and watching TV with me for over an hour or so quite contentedly. We are unsure of when her birthday was exactly, but we think it was in late August early September, so I'm guessing she just turned 4 years old.

I'm guessing there was more going on with her thyroid (maybe thyroid cancer?) than we realized. The other piggies (we now have four left) seem subdued and sad. I'm still in shock.

JX4

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Sorry for the double post. My mouse has been double clicking in lots of places lately. Not sure why.

rjespicer

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss.

RIP Snuggles.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:53 pm

I am so sorry you lost her, JX4. She sounds like she was a very special girl. You have our sympathy.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:02 pm

I'm very sorry you lost her.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:38 am

I'm so sorry you lost Snuggles. She did indeed sound like a very special little girl. You have my sympathy.

Rest in peace, Snuggles. You are loved and missed.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm so sorry. Sounds like she was a special pig.