Pumpkin has a ureter stone

PumpkinandSalt

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Hello. I recently took my guinea pig to the vet because last Wednesday afternoon I noticed there was blood in his pee and sludge (he's had calcium deposits for a long time but I always managed it by syringing extra water). They took an xray and there appeared to be a stone in his bladder. When they did an ultrasound and couldn't find a stone in his bladder, they checked his ureter and that's where they found it. The vet said there isn't much that can be done if the stone is in his ureter. He said his kidney and ureter are dilated so hopefully it'll dilate enough for it to get to his bladder.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with a piggy and if so could you please let me know if you had any success with any treatments? I've been trying to find shilintong so if anyone that has used it on their piggy can send me the link and the amount I should give him, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:09 pm

There is a link to a place you can get it on this page:
https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html#supplements

Stones in the ureter are difficult to treat, as your vet points out. The ureter is narrow and surgery there is difficult to impossible. I do not know if the shilintong would help ease out the stone but it certainly is worth a shot.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:54 pm

Could a muscle relaxant like Ativan or Valium help a stone in the ureter? I know it's been prescribed for stones in other parts of the urinary tract.

PumpkinandSalt

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:24 pm

Along with the shilintong, I would like to give him renavive. I was wondering how much renavive I should give him and is the dosage the same for all pigs? Do you know of pigs who have had a bad reaction to either of the herbs? Also, is 1.0cc the same as 1.0mL?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:26 pm

Shilintong IS a muscle relaxant, as I understand it. How effective it is compared to Ativan or Valium, I have no idea, and no idea whether it could be used in combination with either of them.

A stone in a ureter is a very serious situation. There's no way to get one out surgically, and if it doesn't pass on its own, it can cause a very painful, slow death for the pig. In addition to any muscle relaxant, I would certain push all the liquids I could to see if it can be flushed to the bladder where it could be removed.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:57 am

One of our pigs takes Ativan to help her pass stones. Not sure if it would act on the ureter - your vet would know. We were giving subcues to Pepper for her stone problem - different vet, same hospital. It wasn't easy, but she lived for another 3 mos. without stones and died of something unrelated.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:54 pm

I just remembered, she also takes pain killer in hopes it will help her pass the stones. Once again, I'm not sure if this would apply to a stone in the ureter.

PumpkinandSalt

Post   » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:54 pm

I just received the renavive in the mail and I was double checking the ingredients and it seems that they're a bit different. Instead of "hemidesmus indica, celery seed extract, and parsley seed extract" it now has "sarsaparilla root (smilax medica), celery seed, and parsley leaf".

Does anyone know if I can I still give him the renavive?

PumpkinandSalt

Post   » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:05 pm

I called the company and they said they haven't changed the ingredients, the label was just changed to be more specific.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:43 pm

I hope it helps.

PumpkinandSalt

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:37 pm

Is it okay to give shilintong and metacam together?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:26 pm

Yes.