Invermectin help

Pippa123

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:20 pm

I have just noticed my guinea pig has mites, I took him outside and saw a sore behind his shoulder and had a look through his fur and sore some white things moving.
I've ordered invermectin from online and I know you have to put it on his back like a treatment but seeing as his sore bit is on his back do I avoid the area or put the treatment on this bit also? Thank you for the help!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:56 pm

He doesn't have mites. They're microscopic, burrow into the skin, and can't be seen with the naked eye. What he's got is lice.

You put ivermectin on the bald spot behind the ear, fold the ear over, and rub it in.

What strength ivermectin did you order? It comes in several strengths, some of which can kill a guinea pig if improperly applied without being diluted.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Yes, sounds like lice. You might want to read over www.guinealynx.info/lice.html

Pippa123

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:57 pm

What I ordered comes in pipettes? It's 25ug per pipette. On the link provided it does say that invermecin works for lice too but would buying the advantage multi (what the link says) be better than what I've bought?

After reading the link it definitely sounds like lice

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:41 pm

Guinea pigs shouldn't have the Advantage Multi -- it's got something added that's dangerous for them.

But if the pipettes are the Beophar Spot-On, they may not be strong enough to do the job. Several people have used them, and have had to go to something stronger.

Pippa123

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:59 pm

Yes that is what it is! What would you recommend ? Thanks

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:11 pm

This stuff, available on Amazon UK, is the right strength: PHARMAQ Ivermectin Drops 1% 5ml - Mite Treatment for Small Furries

Here's the dosing sheet: http://www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html. It says "injection" but it can be applied topically at the same dosage.

Pippa123

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Thank you so much for your help ! Ordering it now

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:52 pm

It will work better on lice if you apply topically.

Pippa123

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:09 am

Do I avoid his sore patch? It's like a scab behind his ear? Do I use under on his belly and on his head ? Thanks

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:35 am

You just put it in one spot. Behind the ear, in the bald spot, is a good place, but not if there's a sore there. Just put it all behind the other ear.

Pippa123

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:59 pm

He keeps scratching behind one ear and keeps scratching the scabs off, do I not put it all on his back as the lice are on his back too? Thanks

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:11 pm

No. The medication is absorbed into and travels through the skin all over the body.

It will take several days for it to improve, but if he's still scratching vigorously after 4-5 days of treatment, it may not be a parasite at all.

Pippa123

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:21 pm

There's definitely something on his back I saw things on his skin when I separated his fur but if this doesn't heal behind his ear I'm going to take him to the vet as not sure if this is related. Thank you for all your help

14 posts • Page 1 of 1