When is the right time??

Cherokkee66

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:26 am

Hello All!

I wanted to find out what everyone thought on this...I had 2 male skinny pigs that are around 15 months old named Skinny and Jordan. I recently just suddenly lost Jordan and now Skinny is alone. I have read the "alone" page but I have a couple of questions. Skinny has always been a dominate/aggressive boar. Ever since Jordan has been gone, which has been about 4 days now, Skinny has been none the better. He is moving around the cage still, eating fine and at times is VERY excited for his veggies popcorning around and showing excitement. As far as I can tell he is happy and not grieving. My question to everyone is, if he continues this behavior should I hold off on getting a new cage mate for him? As mentioned before, he was always dominate and aggressive to his other cage mate Jordan and do not know if getting another one would be beneficial to him since he seems happier to be alone?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:36 am

I would continue to watch him and weigh him regularly. A very few pigs are loners. I'd still consider a companion (adoption is best). How big a cage do you have?

Cherokkee66

Post   » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:54 am

I have a 2 x 5 C&C cage so there is lot space for him. I have put in a few new things in there to spice it up for him. He is eating and pooping just fine. It has been almost a week now since his cage-mate Jordan died

22_smyts

Post   » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:55 pm

I used to have two guinea pigs but one died a year ago. The other guinea pig seems a bit sad and lonely by himself but because he is 7 years old I thought it best not to get him another mate. If your guinea pig is happy then he should be fine as long as he is getting attention but I expect that your guinea pig is still young an probably doesn't want to be alone for the rest of his life. Not having a companion could make him a bit more lazy resulting in him laying in his urine which can cause skin issues. If he doesn't have a companion then he will need a lot of attention and play time.

lisam

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Because he's relatively young, I'd go with getting him a buddy.