Shilintong/(Guang) Jin Qian Cao and Bladder Stones

Party Guineas

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:09 pm

I've hit a bit of a wall. I've been a lurker for a while and you all have so much great information, I thought I'd see if anyone has the right expertise about this.

I've read pretty much all of the major forum posts about shilintong and the Guinea Lynx article about bladder stones and its usage.

I live in the UK and have found this: http://chineseherb.co.uk/newshop/index. ... e&pID=1362

I think it's the right thing and have found that a few people from other forums have bought it. However, I'm struggling to determine dosage - has anyone used Guang Jin Qian Cao or Shilintong granules before and how much did you give your guinea pig? And if you've used the above or just the plain Guang Jin Qian Cao/Desmodium, did it work for bladder stones? I've deduced that this herb is the primary ingredient in the Shilintong that most of you in the US buy from FarEastGinseng, if that's right?

I went to all the Chinese herbalists/medicine shops in my city and none had either of these products (Shilintong (Shi Lin Tong) or Guang Jin Qian Cao). I found one that had Jin Qian Cao. They explained that Shilintong is a mixture of herbs and that the (Guang) Jin Qian Cao is a single herb. From my excessive Googling, I think I've figured out that Guang Jin Qian Cao and Jin Qian Cao are two different herbs:

Guang Jin Qian Cao = Desmodium styracifolium
Jin Qian Cao = Lysimachia Christinae

I bought the Jin Qian Cao on a whim - it came as dried leaves and stems. The practitioner told me to steep 3g as a tea for one day and continue to re-steep throughout the day until it loses potency. This was for a human. Has anyone used dried Jin Qian Cao/Lysimachia Christinae as leaves/stems? Or has anyone used Lysimachia Christinae in a pill or granules for their guinea pig for stones to any effect?

If you've guessed by now, my male guinea pig has a few small bladder stones that the vet thinks he might be able to pass. He's on metacam, Cystease and temgesic/buprenorphine. He's had three bladder surgeries in the last year, two in quick succession, and the vet doesn't want to do another surgery because of the risk of complications. I want to give him the best possible chance, as if he can't pass these, it might be game over. Thanks for your help!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:58 pm

I'm not sure how that would be used -- I've only seen it as a powder. But what it does is relax the smooth muscles in the ureter so that the diameter stretches a little and, we hope, allows the stone to pass.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:26 pm

You read all of https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html ? There is a section on shilintong in the "supplements" area. It is Desmodium Styracifolium. Lysimachia christinae Hance is also referenced.

Party Guineas

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:19 am

@bpatters Thanks for the explanation about how it works internally. When you've seen it as a powder, how has it been used in terms of quantities? Or are you referring to a tablet crushed into a powder?

@Lynx Yes, I did. I saw that at the bottom of the section on shilintong. From my own research and speaking to chinese medicine practitioners (who speak Chinese), they explained that shilintong is a mixture of herbs, which includes either Desmodium styracifolium or Lysimachia christinae Hance. Those are two different plants from my research. I found this article where it was used in guinea pigs for a different purpose: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21524697.

I primarily wanted to see if anyone had used Lysimachia christinae specifically for bladder stones (i.e. if it's listed on anyone's shilintong packaging or if anyone's used it as a tea and how much to give in that case.

Thanks, both!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:43 am

Mine came as a powder. I can't remember how much I used -- just a pinch, I think.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:46 am

Yes, I was referring to a tablet which could be crushed into a powder and mixed with water. Unsure how the "tea" would work. You might have to experiment.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon May 07, 2018 3:11 pm

Our vet prescribed diazepam for urethral relaxation & pain killer to help her pass stones. He said he had one stone-prone pig live to 5 on this regimen.