4 year old female is squeaking when urinating

duskern

Post   » Wed May 02, 2018 5:14 am

So should I stop feeding my pigs beetroot? I couldn't find it on the nutrition chart though. Regarding the celery, what is this choking hazard you are refering to? We normally only give the girls brocoli once a week.

Are the Cavia Complete pellets we use really that bad? I had them recommended by someone a while back. The pigs really like them, but I have to figure out if we should change.

I would really like to give my girls a good healthy diet. I actually thought we did. It seems a bit overwhelming.

I usually give them a pea flake and a parsley pellet for a snack every night. Is this ok?

kailaeve1271

Post   » Wed May 02, 2018 8:01 am

Sorry, Lynx! I didn’t realize I had to use photos from the site I was just using what I could get to actually load. I’ll keep that in mind for the future. I was also told on THIS site that I shouldn’t give a lot of carrot so I was just going off of what I was informed. I’ll keep all of this in mind for the future! Also I did have permission from those other sites they were both on different forums? I asked there, but they may have taken what they found on the internet. Sorry everyone! Should have done a little more research on the photos
Last edited by kailaeve1271 on Wed May 02, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Wed May 02, 2018 8:11 am

Beetroot should be cut down to about twice a week at most is what I’m told. Celery has long strings that are known to get caught on your pigs teeth and have a choking hazard so if you do feed them cut them into thin slices. I’ve always been pea flakes are a piggy favorite and my pugs love parsley, I’m pretty sure both go in moderation. I found something on the pellets, but please allow me a moment to clear with Lynx that it is okay to posts since I seem to be breaking rules :( Completely by accident though guys. I’m sorry

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 02, 2018 8:38 am

Yes, you are right that you should not give a lot of carrot. My complaint was when you said it was high in sugar. This is a myth that has bee kicking around for a while. I don't know much about beetroot.

I don't mind if you reference Guinea Pig Cages. They are great. But I wanted to know where you got Tracis' photo from because it appears it was stolen from this site. If you instead referenced her photo here, you would not be supporting someone who takes photos without getting Tracis' permission.

duskern

Post   » Wed May 02, 2018 8:42 am

Thx for your advice. My only concern is my sweet girls :)

Regarding the beetroot. I have always been told that hard vegetables are nice for helping with keeping the teeth short. This is why we always give them hard vegs as a night snack. We don't vary it much, but give them either carrots, beetroot or brocoli. Is this not a good idea?

We have not had any problems with the celery, and I was not aware of the hazard. Should we just stop feeding them celery? They really like it, that's for sure. There's never anything left to be found :)

I'd really like to give my girls the best diet possible, so if the pellets are not good for them, I will have to find something else. They do sound good when you read the ingredients I think, and as far as I can tell, they are made specifically for guinea pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 02, 2018 8:50 am

You might consider chopping the celery to take care of the stringiness. Hay is much more effective for the teeth. Hard vegetables really don't help much. Dietarily, I think you can give them a little though.

If you use a dark colored fleece as bedding, you will have some indication of calcium intake and output.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Wed May 02, 2018 9:04 am

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38205

This is the what I was referring to earlier. I believe it’s more in the middle. It says that it’s higher in ash than a piggy needs and has a bunch of additives but the company is so vague with ingredients that they can tell much more. Celery can still be fed but it is advised to be cut into slices that are about half a cm (I’m tryong to use cm rather than inches so if that’s wrong let me know again). Beetroot is okay but more as a treat. As Lynx said hay is so much better.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Wed May 02, 2018 9:08 am

Just out of curiousity if carrot is not high is sugar why is it not supposed to be given frequently?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 02, 2018 10:22 am

It is a starchy veg. In the wild, you would not find guinea pigs foraging for root vegetables but instead eating grass, greens, fallen fruit (?), dried grass. I think of it being less nutritionally dense by weight. Carrots are high in vitamin A, which is a fat soluble vitamin. Too much vitamin A can actually cause problems.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed May 02, 2018 10:30 am

Beets would not be part of a wild guinea pig's diet -- they're herbivores. And hard veggies do nothing for their teeth -- it's the hay/grass that keeps them ground down. Also, it's higher in calcium than lettuces.

As for the celery, in all the years I've been on this forum and GPC, I've never heard of a pig getting choked on celery. I have heard that one clinic has seen guinea pigs with an obstruction caused by the strings. Pig teeth are like razor knives, and I tend to think that worry is overblown. However, you can be perfectly safe by just cutting it crosswise into small slices and completely solve that problem.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Wed May 02, 2018 11:25 am

I’ve actually had a guinea pig have celery strings wrappped around her teeth. It cause an infection and was partially down her throat so she kept coughing. That’s how I noticed. It is a real thing which is why I stress cutting them

duskern

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 6:58 am

kailaeve1271 cm is fine, and what we use here in Denmark :) I just read the link you provided regarding Cavia Complete. I'm not entirely sure what the discussion is about, but is the conclusion that it's not a good product for guinea pigs?

I'm totally confused regarding beet root and carrots. We have been feeding them that stuff for years, and I've always been told it was good for them. What do you guys recommend then. Not give them any of this at all, meaning no beet root and no carrots?

Regarding the celery. We will cut them into smaller slices :)