Maj. Hotlips Houlihan is a 3yo spayed girl who was just adopted last week. The rescue had been treating her for an URI and did a 10 day course of Azithromycin and seemed better. Went in for a wellness on Wednesday of last week and lungs, heart etc all were good. Thursday evening, was popcorning around and eating up a storm. An hour later she was on her side in her cage, unable to stand, shaking and her eyes rolling all over. Got her to vet first thing Friday morning and she was diagnosed with pneumonia and severe inner ear infection after x-rays and blood testing. She was given baytril, an anti-dizzy med for her severe head tilt, metacam 2x a day, and amakacin in her nebulizer 3x/day. Her blood test showed she was very anemic, but heart and kidneys were good. Her x-rays showed the inner-ear infection being way more advanced (both ears) but her lungs looked ok except for some slight cloudiness and heart was not enlarged. The head tilt and unsteadiness has almost completely resolved. her breathing though has not improved and has actually gotten worse. Her weight has been strong and continues to gain about 10g a day and eats pretty well. Have been giving her fauna/flora probiotic 2x to prevent any gut issues from the AB. Any ideas on the breathing getting worse? I recently had my Yuengling go through 2 rounds of pneumonia in the past 4 months and his was way worse but also showed improvement in a day or so after nebulizing and AB. I brought her to work with me (nice, quiet family business) to keep an eye on her and hearing her wheeze is killing me.
I imagine you have read www.guinealynx.info/heart.html With the head tilt etc., this seems more complicated than only a heart issue.
Sorry for the delayed response as we have had our hands full recently.
Major Hotlips is doing so much better! Her severe nasal congestion was cleared up with a single dose (1 drop in each nose) of Adult Nose Drops. Vet said she probably had sinusitis. She has been good since then. We pulled her off the Lasix since there was no improvement when she was on it. That was a week ago and shes been doing good! Looks like she will definitely have a very minor head tilt as a result but she is finally running and pop corning like a lunatic. Also, upon my crazy amount of digging here on the forum, I ordered Vetri DMG for her and she started it a week and half ago. I really think it contributed to her strong bounce back and now all the piggies are getting a small daily dose of it as well as Wellactin (omega-3 supplement).
She has managed to go from 770g to 936g since she got sick. Just glad she is feeling better! I will be switching her over from Fauna Flora to Bene-Bac. Any thoughts on the Bene-bac usage?
And naturally due to the Chloramphenicol, she has stopped eating completely. She is getting 45-50mL of CC mixed with Fauna Flora daily and syringing her pedalyte with water for fluids. She hasn't gotten worse but has shown zero improvement in the past week.
That seems like a lot. Her weight has maintained the past week without her eating. That was the amount the vet recommended she gets daily. I do 4 or 5 feedings a day of 10-15mL or more if she will let me. Maybe I am missing something.... I am pretty exhausted at this point so it is entirely possible. btw, do you happen to know if the treatment protocol for URI is different from pneumonia? Thanks in advance!