Maj. Hotlips struggling with Pneumonia and Inner Ear

4lilPigs

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 am

Readers Digest version here:

Maj. Hotlips Houlihan is a 3yo spayed girl who was just adopted last week. The rescue had been treating her for an URI and did a 10 day course of Azithromycin and seemed better. Went in for a wellness on Wednesday of last week and lungs, heart etc all were good. Thursday evening, was popcorning around and eating up a storm. An hour later she was on her side in her cage, unable to stand, shaking and her eyes rolling all over. Got her to vet first thing Friday morning and she was diagnosed with pneumonia and severe inner ear infection after x-rays and blood testing. She was given baytril, an anti-dizzy med for her severe head tilt, metacam 2x a day, and amakacin in her nebulizer 3x/day. Her blood test showed she was very anemic, but heart and kidneys were good. Her x-rays showed the inner-ear infection being way more advanced (both ears) but her lungs looked ok except for some slight cloudiness and heart was not enlarged. The head tilt and unsteadiness has almost completely resolved. her breathing though has not improved and has actually gotten worse. Her weight has been strong and continues to gain about 10g a day and eats pretty well. Have been giving her fauna/flora probiotic 2x to prevent any gut issues from the AB. Any ideas on the breathing getting worse? I recently had my Yuengling go through 2 rounds of pneumonia in the past 4 months and his was way worse but also showed improvement in a day or so after nebulizing and AB. I brought her to work with me (nice, quiet family business) to keep an eye on her and hearing her wheeze is killing me.

4lilPigs

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 1:08 pm

Ok, so spoke to the vet over the phone since her breathing is getting more and more labored but she is still eating, pooping etc and her nose/ears are pink. We are going to try Lasix to see if that helps her breathing and if it works, will obviously need to do an ultrasound of her heart. If that doesn't work, we may try a bronco-dialator. Anyone have any experience with that?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 9:51 pm

I do not recall anyone using a bronco-dilator but only a nebulizer (which you have tried). Your vet seems very thorough. I wish I had additional advice for you but it sounds like both you and your vet are on top of this.

I imagine you have read www.guinealynx.info/heart.html With the head tilt etc., this seems more complicated than only a heart issue.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 9:52 pm

I think we've had pigs on a nebulized broncho-dilator before, but can't remember which ones.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 pm

I suspect I am misunderstanding what a bronchodilator is (I thought it was a method of delivery but it appears to be a variety of medications that open the airways of the lungs, says google).

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 10:25 pm

Your right Lynx: bronchodilators open the tubes leading to the lungs to help with breathing. I'll go put my nursing cap away.

4lilPigs

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi guys!
Sorry for the delayed response as we have had our hands full recently.
Major Hotlips is doing so much better! Her severe nasal congestion was cleared up with a single dose (1 drop in each nose) of Adult Nose Drops. Vet said she probably had sinusitis. She has been good since then. We pulled her off the Lasix since there was no improvement when she was on it. That was a week ago and shes been doing good! Looks like she will definitely have a very minor head tilt as a result but she is finally running and pop corning like a lunatic. Also, upon my crazy amount of digging here on the forum, I ordered Vetri DMG for her and she started it a week and half ago. I really think it contributed to her strong bounce back and now all the piggies are getting a small daily dose of it as well as Wellactin (omega-3 supplement).

She has managed to go from 770g to 936g since she got sick. Just glad she is feeling better! I will be switching her over from Fauna Flora to Bene-Bac. Any thoughts on the Bene-bac usage?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:59 pm

It should work fine.

Thanks for the update! So happy to hear there is great improvement.

GPIG

Post   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:17 pm

Happy to hear hotlips has improved. I love the name. Please tell me you have a boar named Major Frank Burns

4lilPigs

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:38 pm

GPIG> I wish! We had a pair of bonded boars, Hawkeye and Trapper. Trapper passed away in April. We thought Hawkeye needed a lady friend. Thought Hotlips was the perfect name/pairing. As it turns out, just like the show, they do not get along. She actually doesn't get along with any of the boys. I knew I shouldn't have spoiled her so much. SOOOOO I just ordered her C&C cage.....

4lilPigs

Post   » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:22 pm

So here we go again. Last Thursday, Hotlips started going down hill again. Had just had a recheck 2 days prior and she was doing fine. Changed her from Baytril to Chloramphenicol. Her breathing was awful on Monday and we took her in where they hospitalized her overnight. She did well being on oxygen and her breathing had improved. Chest xrays showed that the pneumonia was not as severe has her symptoms were showing. She sounds like she has a nasty head cold but no runny nose. We are nebulizing her 4x/day with Amikacin/Saline solution. Her breathing is always worse when she comes out of the nebulizer. I ordered an oxygen generator so I can oxygenate her at home/work. Vet agreed it was a good idea. Everyone is currently at a loss for any ideas. Anyone else experience this type of stuffy head/nose breathing in their piggy??

And naturally due to the Chloramphenicol, she has stopped eating completely. She is getting 45-50mL of CC mixed with Fauna Flora daily and syringing her pedalyte with water for fluids. She hasn't gotten worse but has shown zero improvement in the past week.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:25 pm

No ideas on the URI, but that's not enough CC. She should be getting 100+ cc for every kilogram she weighs, every day. Adjust up or down according to her weight, and down if she's eating anything else. Divide into 5-6 feedings per day around the clock.

4lilPigs

Post   » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:34 pm

bpatters,

That seems like a lot. Her weight has maintained the past week without her eating. That was the amount the vet recommended she gets daily. I do 4 or 5 feedings a day of 10-15mL or more if she will let me. Maybe I am missing something.... I am pretty exhausted at this point so it is entirely possible. btw, do you happen to know if the treatment protocol for URI is different from pneumonia? Thanks in advance!

13 posts • Page 1 of 1