Lethargic and Wheezing Piggy!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:05 am

You can force feed her the critical care whether she wants it or not. My basic philosophy is, you're an adult human, this is a three pound pig. You've got the upper hand, by a huge amount.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html. If the pig is at all cooperative, you can use a pet feeding syringe or a large syringe from a pharmacy. If not, use the 1 cc syringes referenced in the article, and fill them with the larger syringe.

Make the slurry watery. Put a towel on a table that's a comfortable height for you, burrito the pig in it, and snuggle the pig in the crook of your arm. Hold her head firmly with your hand covering her eyes.

Insert the syringe in the side of the pig's mouth, behind the front teeth and in front of the back teeth. Turn it toward her throat, and insert it about a half inch into her mouth. Give her about 1/4 to 1/2 cc. at a time.

If you get it far enough back into her mouth, she'll chew and swallow. If not, she'll just spit it out.

If she's not eating normally, she MUST be force-fed. Guinea pigs need food moving through their GI tracts at all times, or very dire things can happen -- stomach ulcers, bloat, GI stasis, all of which can be fatal. She'll think you're killing her, but just the opposite is true -- you're saving her life.

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:47 pm

I wanted to thank you all for your wise advice and help!
As an update, Marlowe started her meds on a Wednesday night, and by the following Monday morning I woke up to a piggy who was very much back to her normal, famished-after-a-good-nights-sleep self! She was chirping for her food and devoured it, and started taking the remaining bit of her antibiotics like a (sassy) champ. She finished her meds totally yesterday and has continued to do well and has been enjoying some outside summertime with us. She is definitely an older piglet now with boney hips and back, but a full belly always. Thank you all again! I'm so grateful for this forum!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:59 pm

Thanks for the update. So glad to hear your guinea pig is on the road to recovery.