should I consider syringe feeds? more probiotic?

JamD

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:07 pm

Sorry, I just posted this in my prior thread and realized it is really a new topic.

Our 4.5 year old girl was diagnosed with a UTI 12 days ago. We gave her last dose of Baytril last night.

I'm worried about her food intake. She lost 150 grams over the past 2 weeks. The vet said that she was not worried because it was mostly in the first week, and since then her weight has stabilized. It has been stable for the past 3 - 4 days. (In fact, she went up 10 grams between 2 of those days.)

BUT - she is eating very little - less than a quarter of her usual intake. Still pooping, but poops are smaller and narrower than usual. (Could this also be a side effect of the Baytril or would that be just from food intake?) The vet says says to just keep watching her. She seems to particularly be willing to eat kale, so we've been giving her extra servings of that. She'll eat a couple of bites of hay and pellets, sometimes a carrot slice or two. Still seems to be drinking well.

Vet is now closed until Monday, and I don't think we need to go to emergency vet at this point. But I wanted input:
1) She was prescribed a probiotic to give every other day while on the antibiotic. Today is an off day, but we also stopped the antibiotic today. Should we start giving the probiotic every day? There are about 8 doses left.

2) We have some Critical Care from our other piggie, but it expired in 2016. (!) Should we consider a syringe feed to supplement her? I just want to make sure her gut keeps moving!!

Thank you!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:32 pm

It could definitely be the side effect of the antibiotic.

Probiotics should be given 60-90 minutes after every dose of antibiotic, and I'd give it for a couple of days after the antibiotic has finished.

If she's not eating her normal amount, I'd definitely supplement with CC or a pellet slurry. The expired CC is probably OK -- the vitamins and minerals may not be as effective as when it was fresh, but it'll do to fill her tummy up.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:32 pm

Weigh daily so you know how much food you must hand feed if she is not maintaining her weight.
www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html