Worst Guinea Pig carer in the world or the unluckiest?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:42 pm

I wouldn't have worried about those expiration dates.

Some medicines have very short shelf lives, and will begin to deteriorate very quickly after the expiration date. Others will have an expiration date a year out in the future, and will likely be good for several months after that date.

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:04 pm

Ok Thanks. The Vet Tech said that particular medication usually had an expiration of 2 months from when it was compounded, so the new stuff when they get it will have an expiration around Nov/Dec this year.

Thanks for the help advice and good wishes. I will let you know if I get any updates and hopefully there will be no issues while I am away and the wife and daughter will have everything covered.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:40 pm

Nala still seems to be fit and active, slight weight drop yesterday down to 836 and she was slightly less co-operative taking critical care this morning (took just over a third of a tablespoon rather than just under a half) but she still seems to be doing well and no noticeable breathing issues and was running around like crazy last night. Will get her to finish the critical care this evening.

I am nervous as heck about heading off tomorrow but the wife and daughter say they have it all covered. Fingers crossed.

SSLee

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:39 pm

Good luck on your trip and to your piggies good health while you are away!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Ditto ^^.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks.
I hope I can relax and get some sleep.
I am ridiculously stressed about the whole situation (in case you hadn't noticed) whereas the wife and daughter are pretty relaxed about it.

Deep breaths....

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:24 pm

So glad your piggies are doing well. Best of luck on your trip. Get some rest and enjoy yourself.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Brief update as I am still in the UK but Nala saw the vet this week who said she has made a great improvement but should complete one more week of meds just to be sure. Will find out more next week when I get home but it sounds promising.
Will post more details when I am back and have found out what the vet said in more detail.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:20 pm

I hope she continues to do well!

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:59 pm

So back home and have a bit more info.

Nala is doing well. The Vet did another X-Ray when the wife took her in while I was away. Apparently it didn't show any of the issues the vet was concerned about originally, like masses, tumors, cancer, inflammation, heart issues etc. Her weight is up to 880g as well at the last weighing which also seemed to impress the vet. She should finish meds this week so I am hoping that she stays fit and healthy once she is off of them and doesn't have any sort of relapse or re-occurrence of the issues.

The wife and daughter are continuing to handle the medications and syringe feeding so i can have a bit more of a break as I am getting over jet lag. The wife doesn't have to go to work until between 10:30am and midday so it makes more sense for her to do it at around 8:30 rather than me having to get up at 5:30am and try and get it done before leaving for work at 7:30am.

The other two seem fine as well. Suzi was up to 738g when I weighed her on Tuesday

While I was away the wife rearranged the pen/cage as apparently Chunkita had climbed up the ramp to the loft but on her way down rather than using the whole ramp to get down to the bottom level she decided to jump over the edge half way down. According to the wife she landed heavily and just lay there for a while, which worried the wife, but then got up and trotted off and seems to be none the worse for it. So to avoid any chance that it might happen again she took the loft off and used the parts to extend the lower level. Unfortunately this means we are having to improvise on liners at the moment but I will take a closer look at the weekend and work out what we need to make sure it is all properly covered.

Also just before I left one of the Hamsters (Saraswati) took a tumble when the daughter opened her cage, she climbed out on the door and lost her footing and fell, only an inch or two, but it looks like she got one of her paws caught between the bars as she fell and has been avoiding using it. She has seen the vet who said it may be sprained, twisted or possibly even fractured or broken so prescribed metacam and told the wife that hopefully it will heal given time and rest. So she has taken her out of the cage, to stop her trying to climb the bars and hurting her paw, and made a small pen for her so she can rest her paw and give it a chance to heal.

So fingers crossed all seems well, relatively speaking, for now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Glad to hear she is doing well. I hope that the vet learns something - that you can't jump to unsubstantiated conclusions - that the issue could be something entirely different.

I hope your hamster does better.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Welcome back! I’m so glad Nala is doing well and gained a little weight - everyone likes a success story. Hope your little hammy rests that paw and gets better.