Possible bladder stones

jatean

Post   » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:24 pm

I've ordered the shilintong. He's currently on melacam. Can he have both?

I'm trying to find the oxalbactor formagenes probiotic as well.

Using a syringe to feed him water mixed with fresh squeezed orange juice. He loves it, but not sure that pigs can have that much orange juice (It's roughly 50/50 mix) Can I use something else like apple juice to add to water to encourage him to drink more? At his weight, he needs over 3 oz of water a day!

I will not delay using euthanasia if he needs it - whether the girl is here or not. She's aware of the situation and approves. He doesn't need it today - he's enjoying himself and the extra attention!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:27 pm

I'd dilute it far more than 50-50. The amount of sugar in OJ can cause digestive upsets. My pigs LOVE watermelon, and will readily slurp down a lot of water with just a little watermelon in it.

Shilintong and metacam are not similar. Metacam is a pain medicine. Shilintong is a muscle relaxant that operates on involuntary muscles to relax them. In the case of a stone, the hope is that it will relax the uretha enough so that the stone can pass.

jatean

Post   » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:44 pm

I did not see the x ray, but I did ask the vet if it was small enough to block/enter the urethra, he said most likely not. So, not sure I want to use shilintong now. (The info I read said it was anti-inflammatory and helped sooth distress of stone on the bladder)

I did dilute the orange water more - and its not so interesting now. Good thing I've got watermelon sitting on the shelf - I'll strain some juice from that to flavor some water.

Thank you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:57 am

Perhaps you could crush some watermelon and freeze small cubes to use later.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Why not use the shilintong? It could possibly help and certainly will not hurt.

We have used it in the past. Some pigs would eat the little pills happily and for others we dissolved it in water and syringed. Their urine became milkier, showing that more calcium was being excreted. One pig may have passed a small stone because of the shilintong.

jatean

Post   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:52 pm

mmeadow, I'm worried about it encouraging the stone to move into the urethra and get stuck.But the idea of more calcium being excreted is interesting. Bellpepper is a male (they have narrow urethras). I haven't had a chance to research more about it.

And we have a whole new problem. We had a major plumbing fiasco this weekend, so part of the house is being sanitized, dried with huge noisy dryers, and reconstruction to start th3is weekend.

The pigs do not have any bond left. I've moved them to the quietest place I could. Finchley will be taken to the rescue to be babysat and find a new friend. Bellpepper was the dominant and a people pig who loved humans. Finchley doesn't care for humans, and now has no company.

Bellpepper has some pain, little squeaks when peeing. He's nibbling his hay, had some veggies. But not feeling as active as he was ...well...just a few hours ago while the metacam was still fresh in his system.

With all the chaos the house will be going through for 2 - 4 weeks (who knows how long), struggling to keep him hydrated (weekly trips for fluids) and constantly monitoring him (I work from home) and he has no bonded friend....there's no benefit to him. (he doesn't drink the watermelon water)

I had hoped to fight this battle for another month or two if he could take it, but now I find myself waiting for his dose of metacam to kick in....watching to see if it helps him...and wondering if this is the night to end it.

This really sucks.

jatean

Post   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:02 pm

We said goodbye to Bellpepper Tuesday. The Metacam was no longer working well for him. Thank you all for your advice.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:15 pm

You have all our sympathy, Jatean. I know he will be missed.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:50 pm

I'm very sorry. You really did a wonderful job taking care of him.

jatean

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:24 am

Thank you bpatters; and I'm eternally grateful for the information and wisdom found on this website and the members.