Possible bladder stones

jatean

Post   » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:44 pm

Bellpepper is at least 4 years old, male. He wasn't acting right last week so took him in to vet. (during the car ride, I heard little squeaks from him. Definitely not normal; he's ridden in the car before and he's a very confident little pig) They couldn't find anything wrong except some dehydration. Gave fluids. Been watching him closely this week. The squeaks are when he urinates; he sits still....bobbles a little...pees and squeaks. No grit, no blood. So I'm guessing it's bladder stones (but hoping for infection).

Going in for xray tomorrow.

From the research I've been doing, I'm thinking surgery really isn't a hopeful option...? Like Abigail's situation in December - he's not my pig, and the owner won't provide medical care. My best choice exotic vet has moved to another city and I can't get into see other real exotics until Saturday or Monday. (Not sure I'm satisfied with the place I took him too last week. I was promised an exotics, but didn't get it...only that his vet consulted with their exotics vet.

Surgery is financially expensive - more than Abby's surgery. Plus emotional expense....would he survive surgery, survive recovery, and NOT get anym ore stones? I've already spent 250 dollars, and will spend another 250 dollars or more tomorrow - without surgery. Am I giving up too soon? How much should I fight for him? Can pigs live with stones?

Please tell me your opinions, I want to make I'm thinking things through.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:18 pm

I think you are right finding out what is wrong and getting an xray to check for stones. As to your other thoughts, it is difficult if this is not your guinea pig. I take it you have read www.guinealynx.info/stones.html ?

I don't think guinea pigs can live with stones.

jatean

Post   » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:47 pm

Yes I read about stones, and a few threads here about other people's experience dealing with them which is why I'm pessimistic.

I would love to have an extra thousand dollars to spend on him. He's been such a blessing for his owner - a 10 year old who loves animals but who's parent is allergic to cats and dogs. I was with her when she choose him - and she left all the adorable little babies behind the moment she saw his blond fur and big black eyes. Done deal. He follows us around during floor time, comes when he's called, and isn't afraid of anything except the sound of crows and motorcyles. After Abigail died and we found his new buddy born from a hoarding situation; he learned to play again! They chased each other, popcorned, and I swear played hide and seek. Finchley was just 3 weeks old - and Bellpepper jumped at every little squeak he made and dashed over to check on him.

I feel guilty not paying for more, but the experiences on the forum show that even after the cost of a successful surgery there are more hiccups or even serious issues that will need more money. Never ending. I'm in childcare, I just don't have it. And kills me to think that he might be the one who would have sailed through without an issue. Such an upsetting position to be in.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:38 pm

You could ask your vet what he/she recommended for palliative care and carefully plan for euthanasia when appropriate.

jatean

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:58 pm

It's definite; stones. I am gathering estimates from different places for surgery...just making sure all possibilities are covered. Thank you Lynx.

jatean

Post   » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:45 pm

He's squeaking and straining about every 15 minutes. Eating some hay, some veggies, but certainly not at normal appetite. Dr. says there's no other pain meds other than meloxicam. How do I judge his pain level? Euthanize sooner rather than later? Even if we decide on surgery, not sure I'd want him to wait until Monday.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:06 pm

There are a number of analgesics listed on this page. Some may help. Euthanizing sooner could avoid a great deal of pain.
www.guinealynx.info/analgesics.html

jatean

Post   » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:59 pm

This is really weird.

I took him in Friday for an xray and of course they do an exam. Is it possible that any handling and palpating would increase inflammation or sensitivity of the bladder? He was also given fluids. I got home about 6, and it was shortly after that I noticed the frequency and intensity of pain (15 minutes). Tried to get him help that night at emergency clinic, and had no luck finding an exotics.

He's doing much better. Eating better, far less pain. Coming out and asking for attention.

Could the exam/xray experience have affected his condition?

It also seems that it's the dehydration that causes most of his lack of appetite and lethargy. The first fluids given the first exam 10 days ago perked him up immediately. Didn't even see the need for pain meds until 3 days later. Then his appetite and energy started declining. Went back for xrays and got more fluids, but then the increase in pain. (We've seen this last vet before, he's a bit rough with the exam, Just a check up with him last year made Bellpepper squeak. He used to work at a zoo)

I'm wondering if we can have more time with him if we keep him hydrated, on pain meds, and monitor his comfort level?

I've read here the a few people have tried Cystease. The vet poo-pooed it. But anyone here had recent experience with it?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:09 pm

Yes, an exam can increase pain. Some stones are very spiky, and any manipulation of them can really hurt.

I doubt Cystease would do any good. Herbivore urine is basic, human urine is acidic, and they'd react very differently to any meds.

jatean

Post   » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Okay, thank you bpatters.

I'm trying to time Bellpepper's last days. His 10 year old owner is leaving Thursday on a trip for 10 days. If he's comfortable enough for now, should I wait until after her trip? Of course that also means he could worsen enough to warrant euthanasia during the trip (trying to avoid that because that's when Abby died...while she was away on a trip and that really traumatized her).

It's so hard to see him perky and eating and think "okay, tomorrow's the day". It feels like I'm cheating him. But then, they hide pain well....is he possibly more uncomfortable than he shows? He's the sick one, his needs come first. Opinions?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:31 pm

I imagine you have thoroughly read the stones page and gleaned any tips there? Increasing fluids? Do you have any access to shillintong?
www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:30 pm

If you know the end is coming soon but do not know exactly how soon, and his owner would like to be with him at the end, I would not wait. They don't know what they will be missing. I've had some bounce back -- and then decompensate with greater discomfort. I think it can be explained to his owner that he may be feeling better, but it's very short term?

This is just my opinion, and keep in mind that I have a lower-than-average tolerance for seeing them in pain.