Casey-stone in urethra

egustavson

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:44 pm

Casey is a 5 year old, large (1800g) female. I took her to the vet yesterday because I noticed blood in the Carefresh where she had urinated. The vet felt a large stone near the opening to her urethra. She proposed attempting to pluck it out under anesthesia. She has never done this procedure. There is another vet in the office who has performed this procedure (at least once but I don’t know how many times) but she is semi-retired and is only in the office on Mondays and Tuesday mornings.

I called Adobe Animal Hospital to find out when Dr. Nakamura could see her. He can examine her then and make recommendations but there is no guarantee that he will be able to remove the stone that day. Unfortunately, I could not get an appointment until next Thursday and there isn’t another vet who does surgical procedures on Guinea pigs available before then.

Casey was prescribed metacam and I am giving her syringes of water to keep her hydrated as the vet recommended. She is urinating. I can feel the stone and it seems very large to me—probably the size of a pea. I can’t imagine that it can move anywhere by itself. I doubt she can pass it. I also think it is unlikely to cause more of a blockage than it already has. (It may be wishful thinking—I really don’t know anything).

So my dilemma is do I risk having a solo vet, with unknown experience (though two vets work in the office, only one is there at a time) attempt to pluck it out on Monday or wait until I can take her to an experienced vet in a well-staffed and well-equipped facility next Thursday.

I realize I have to make the decision myself but I would like input to assess the risks.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Boy! Talk about being between a rock and a hard place!

I'd be VERY reluctant to let an inexperienced vet put my pig under anesthesia. But there's definitely a danger in waiting until Thursday.

Is there another vet practice anywhere around who could do it?

egustavson

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:38 pm

I called another practice and the two vets who potentially could do the surgery will be in tomorrow.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:33 pm

I am sorry you are in this situation! I hope you are able to safely get it removed.

egustavson

Post   » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:39 pm

I am concerned about Casey’s metacam dose—I think it is too high. The vet prescribed 0.35 mls of a 10mg/ml solution twice a day. Casey weighs about 1800g. I commented on it when the technician gave the medication to me an she said it was what the doctor ordered. This morning, I started thinking about it again and did some research. Everything I read including a discussion I read in a link from the medications page here suggests the prescribed dosage is wrong. I called the vet and left a message. She has had 3 doses. The last one was yesterday evening at about 8:30. I am not sure when to give her more and how much.

egustavson

Post   » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:45 pm

The vet called back. She made a mistake and prescribed the vplume for a 1.5mg/ml solution instead of the 1.5mg/ml.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2018

Post   » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:18 pm

Phew! Luckily I believe high doses are well tolerated.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:08 pm

I am glad you are observant. It helps so much to be knowledgeable about treatments and meds.

egustavson

Post   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Dr. N successfully removed Casey’s stone this morning and I can pick her up this afternoon. Apparently, the stone lodged in her urethra and has been getting bigger as salts in her urine crystallize on it. I never thought about how it could contonue to get bigger while it was in there. It is obvious to me now—the process is the same as growing crystals in a solution.

I hope her recovery goes smoothly.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:21 pm

I hope so too! I imagine (hope) she will heal more quickly than a more invasive surgery of the bladder.

egustavson

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:32 am

I thought Casey would be doing better than she is. She will eat fresh food but is not eating hay or pellets. Her poop is mushy. I got a prescription for cisapride and started feeding her Critical Care. I hope I see some improvement tomorrow.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:49 am

Is she on any pain medication?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:24 am

The second day after surgery is worse than the first day. I'd expect her to start improving about 48 hours after surgery, and only get concerned if she doesn't. Or if she gets a lot worse during that time, obviously.

egustavson

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:01 pm

She is on metacam and TMS in addition to Cisapride.

Casey’s weight dropped to 1588g and she was becoming more resistant to having a syringe in her face. She was only eating about 5g of pellets overnight and a little hay. Sometimes she would eat fresh greens but other times it would sit in her cage, wilting. She wasn’t drinking much either. Her “output” was looking more normal which was encouraging but not enough to make me feel confident. Dr. N ageed to see her at the end of the day yesterday (he had a busy surgery schedule).

Yesterday morning, she “turned the corner”. During the night, I awakened and could hear her drinking. In the morning, her water bottle was about 1/3 empty, her weight was up 20g, she had eaten 20g of pellets overnight and she ate all the fresh food I offered. Her weight is up another 40g today.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:05 pm

I hope she continues to eat well!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:36 am

Sounds like she's over the hump. Go Casey!

egustavson

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Casey has a new problem. I noticed a brown “stain” on her rump. When I examined her more closely, I noticed that the fur is thin in the area and there is a small,hard, “projection”—almost like a pimple. She did not squeal while I was examining her. A picture would help, but I have to figure out how to post one.

Dr. Nakamura does not have any appointments until after Thanksgiving, nor do any of the other vets at Adobe who see Guinea pigs. I can either take her to another vet—i have one in SF who has seen her—or take her for urgent care, or wait.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:40 pm

I wouldn't take her to urgent care -- those vets are often moonlighting from other practices and may be totally unfamiliar with guinea pigs.

If it's not bothering her, I'd probably wait on a vet I was comfortable with. If it is, then I'd try the other vet who has seen her.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:53 pm

If you have a clear crisp photo, you can send it to me. Including your board name and a link to this post is helpful.

I encourage you to look over www.guinealynx.info/lumps.html if you haven't done so already.

It could be something like a wart or skin tag if it is small. Does it seem crusty?

egustavson

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:12 pm

I will send a photo. Casey is my first Guinea pig with light colred fur on her rump. I have had her for 4 years and never noticed dirty looking fur in this area before. The dirty fur may be from her grease gland, but I don’t know what the “pimple” is. None of the pictures of grease glands show enough detail.

Adobe is an urgent care hospital and I was advised to call ahead to make sure a Guinea pig vet was available. I assumed they use their own veterinary staff for urgent care, but that may not be the case. Thank you, bpatters. For alerting me to the possibility that it may not be.

28 posts