I called Adobe Animal Hospital to find out when Dr. Nakamura could see her. He can examine her then and make recommendations but there is no guarantee that he will be able to remove the stone that day. Unfortunately, I could not get an appointment until next Thursday and there isn’t another vet who does surgical procedures on Guinea pigs available before then.
Casey was prescribed metacam and I am giving her syringes of water to keep her hydrated as the vet recommended. She is urinating. I can feel the stone and it seems very large to me—probably the size of a pea. I can’t imagine that it can move anywhere by itself. I doubt she can pass it. I also think it is unlikely to cause more of a blockage than it already has. (It may be wishful thinking—I really don’t know anything).
So my dilemma is do I risk having a solo vet, with unknown experience (though two vets work in the office, only one is there at a time) attempt to pluck it out on Monday or wait until I can take her to an experienced vet in a well-staffed and well-equipped facility next Thursday.
I realize I have to make the decision myself but I would like input to assess the risks.
I hope her recovery goes smoothly.
Casey’s weight dropped to 1588g and she was becoming more resistant to having a syringe in her face. She was only eating about 5g of pellets overnight and a little hay. Sometimes she would eat fresh greens but other times it would sit in her cage, wilting. She wasn’t drinking much either. Her “output” was looking more normal which was encouraging but not enough to make me feel confident. Dr. N ageed to see her at the end of the day yesterday (he had a busy surgery schedule).
Yesterday morning, she “turned the corner”. During the night, I awakened and could hear her drinking. In the morning, her water bottle was about 1/3 empty, her weight was up 20g, she had eaten 20g of pellets overnight and she ate all the fresh food I offered. Her weight is up another 40g today.
Dr. Nakamura does not have any appointments until after Thanksgiving, nor do any of the other vets at Adobe who see Guinea pigs. I can either take her to another vet—i have one in SF who has seen her—or take her for urgent care, or wait.
- And got the T-shirt
If it's not bothering her, I'd probably wait on a vet I was comfortable with. If it is, then I'd try the other vet who has seen her.
I encourage you to look over www.guinealynx.info/lumps.html if you haven't done so already.
It could be something like a wart or skin tag if it is small. Does it seem crusty?
Adobe is an urgent care hospital and I was advised to call ahead to make sure a Guinea pig vet was available. I assumed they use their own veterinary staff for urgent care, but that may not be the case. Thank you, bpatters. For alerting me to the possibility that it may not be.