Wedgwood - let's start with bloat/torsion

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:12 pm

So... how long do I keep her from jumping? I should probably call back the vet. I'm pretty sure she said a week and a half. I'm wondering if I should wait the two weeks? I'm heading out for a few days and am wondering about opening up the cage to the upper levels before I go.

eta - she's doing great! Poo has been better since the surgery. Go figure. Still a little light weight, but her normal happy self.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:03 pm

That is such good news! I think she's past the danger window on the jumping but getting it cleared by the vet is definitely preferred.

Tracy

Post   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:22 am

I love that she's back to her "normal happy self" -- that's WONDERFUL!! Kisses to little Wedg.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:26 am

Wedgwood had been doing well most of the month of September. A little bloating towards the end of the month for a day or two. I can't believe how long this stretch lasted. But we're in a rough spot. The last few days her poo have gotten soft. Poo-foot. Ick. But today, there's crying. She's active, eating, but puffed out (although she's squishy - so it's not bad bloat). I think she's crying every time she poops; they're all misshapen and clumped together. I've given her some meticam. She got simethicone and probiotic this morning. I'm not sure if there's anything I can dole out immediately to help, or if we just need to wait this out.

She may not be feeling well, but she's chowing like a real pig. At least I'm not worrying about her starving herself right now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:28 am

Not rereading but you've checked by xray for stones/sludge? I know you know this is also a possibility if she's crying when she poops. There may be something else causing the pain.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:22 pm

So she had a wonderful October, with no more stomach problems. But November started off kinda bumpy. Had a day or two early in November of little poos. She's been gaining weight in all the wrong ways and had problems jumping up to the second level (but a temporary ramp has taken care of that). Today was rough. Serious pain, little poos, crying - I think something was pinching a nerve, because she'd seize up like I used to see Pippin do. I started with meticam, but it didn't seem to be enough, and I was afraid she'd suddenly take a turn to the worse this evening, so I called the vet. In the time it took to get a call back (which was NOT long), Wedg started to rally. Vet told me to give her tramadol and gabapentin and soon after Wedg started stuffing her face with hay. That was 5pm. It's now 7pm, and Wedg is still in front of the hay rack.

So YAY!

So I think we're through this attack. I expect a few days respite. But her attacks are starting to get worse, and worse than they had been in August. I'd rather have the runny poo that these tiny pathetic things. I worry about blockage. But I think I know what I'm in for - it's going to be one of these that just get too bad and I'll have to take her in. Not a pleasant thought, but in the meantime, I'm hoping for another stint of good days that she'll enjoy (when she's good, she's very very good).

Thanks for listening.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:25 pm

I'm hoping for a lot of those good days too!

We will be thinking of you both.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 am

Are you giving her a probiotic? That might help her tummy. I hope she recovers quickly once you get the meds sorted out.

Tracy

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:35 pm

YAH for Wedgie's rebound and happiness at hay rack! (Also YAH for those meds.) Wishing her many more good days.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:26 am

Yes, she gets probiotic, too.

Things aren't right. I put her in a separate cage for some of the morning to monitor poo. They're really small. But she really wanted to be with Mabel, so she's back in the main cage again. She's acutely uncomfortable from time to time. I'm afraid she's starting to get blocked up. So I'll be keeping a close eye on her today. Her attitude is GREAT. But I'm sure the tumor(s) are growing fast and it's only a matter of time. I do not want her to be stuck suffering because I waited too long. This is such a hard thing to call.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:58 pm

I know you will be right there, watching and making her as comfortable as she can be.

Mabel is in good hands.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:23 pm

I think I'm losing Wedgwood. She was cranky, but active and eating this morning when I left at 11:30. I got home at 8:30 to find her puffed up, disoriented, cool to the touch, wobbly on her feet. Rob said she didn't look well when he gave them dinner at 6:30. I gave her simethicone, tramadol (although she doesn't particularly look like she's in pain), put her on a heating pad. She has that "I'm not really here" look I've seen with dying pigs. I hate not knowing if she's okay on my lap or she'd rather be put back in the cage and left alone. So I'm sitting with her, willing her to know how much I love her, hoping that she's comfortable. <sigh>