Skin issue .... fungus?

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:27 am

Mr. Pigglie and Loki are about 1 1/2 years old. I got them when they were small.. I also have 2 newer pigs who are about 4 or 5 months old.. Thor (I have another thread on his medical maladies)... and Mr. Magoo

When I got Thor and had him to the vet for one of his other issues.. the vet said he had "crispy ears" and prescribed silver sulfadiazine for them.

I treated him for a few weeks and all seemed ok and stopped treatment per vet.

I noticed about a week ago that Mr. Pigglie seemed to have 1 crispy ear.. it looks much like thors did. But mr piggies seems more flakey a bit.. he has it on the outside of 1 ear and the corner of his other ear near his skull.

I began treating with the silver sulfadiazine .. he seems improved but it's a slow process and I'm still applying the med..

Then I noticed today that Loki has a spot about the size of a nickel on his neck/chin area that looks very similar. But it has some scabs. Doesn't look at all like bites, looks like scratches... so I'm thinking its itchy

I put silver cream on it tonight too.. since this is the first I've noticed it (honestly I haven't inspected him as I should be for about a week or so due to treating the other 3 pigs for all different things)..

I looked up the med just now and it says it's for bacterial infections for burns? I suppose for a bacteria infection it's probably great

Their cage is a c&c 5x4 with fleece that is swept daily and changed about every 5 days. Washed in bleach and free and clear detergent first on soak, then wash, and extra rinse in hot and then washed a second time without the bleach. I cleaned their cage tonight and sanitized their pigloos and food and water dishes/bottles

So I'm wondering maybe is it a fungal? And how do they get a fungal infection? None of them but thor have been anywhere recently and my cats and children dont have any issues?

Should I treat it with something else?

With as sick and piling vet Bill's for Thor I'm hoping to avoid vet if possible but of course will bring them in if needed!

They're both eating like there's no tomorrow and are very rotund pigs

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:44 am

Fungi are everywhere. A guinea pig with a poor immune system is especially vulnerable. If none of your guinea pigs have ever been treated for mites, this is also a possible cause of the scratching.

Read over:
www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html
www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:22 am

I'd treat them all for mites, and then I'd assume that the spot is a fungus and treat it with Nystatin or Lotrimin. Applying an antibiotic to a fungal infection won't do anything except lubricate the skin with the cream in the antibiotic.

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Mr Pigglie and Loki I have had for over a year now... neither are at all unhealthy except this new thing

When thor had crispy ears he was quarantined in another cage and had no interaction with the other pigs...

Where could they have gotten mites?

Alrightie so I guess a vet trip is necessary for these guys to get the meds and/or evaluation

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Every living thing has mites all over them. You, me, the guinea pigs, snakes, whatever.

I would NOT quarantine a pig with crispy ears. The stress of being separated is likely to make it worse. I'd start treating it with cold pressed virgin coconut oil, and if that didn't work, with one of the antifungal creams.

A trip to the vet is not necessary. Lynx just gave you two links with information on how to treat them.

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Thor was still in his quarantine from when I got him. He had not yet been introduced.

The crispy ear and neck are new to Loki and Mr. Pigglie. Neither have been quarantined. They're all still mostly happy living together. They have their moments but generally get on well. None of them fight but they do chatter teeth occasionally.. but they do that at me sometimes when I'm trying to get them out.. but it's more an annoyance behavior. None seem to fight and I have several food dishes.. and 2 large veggie dishes .. they all seem to do ok with this. Only 2 water bottles rho

I'll make them a vet appt.. or does this seem urgent and I should take them to emergency vet? Thoughts?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Did you read the response I posted just above your most recent one?
A trip to the vet is not necessary. Lynx just gave you two links with information on how to treat them.

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:06 pm

I did see and read the links.. I just did not realize this is a medication I can purchase over the counter as I read the story posted with it and the person mentioned the treatments through the vet that did not improve the piggy and then asked for mite treatment.

I misunderstood about the medication, thinking it was vet prescribed. My sincerest apologies.

I will read the article once more and google the meds and where to get them. In the meantime I will start on coconut oil right away. I always have that on hand

Thank you again for all of your valuable information!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:03 pm

These are directions for one of the ivermectin products. It comes in different forms.
www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:41 pm

Thank you so much 💜🐖🐹

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:57 am

Thank you all for your suggestions

I started using the coconut oil immediately.. Mr. Pigglie crispy ears are now soft and not flakey.. I'm still putting the oil on to make sure for a few more days.. I figure it can't hurt

Loki's wound on his double chin is MUCH improved and is healing. He started itching his nose and had scratches from that.. so I put coconut oil on his nose too.. and both are healing very nicely.

I would post photos if i knew how. I took before ones too

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Keep in mind if he has mites or fungus, the coconut oil is not going to clear this up.