Hair Loss/Mites/Fungal Issue?

wheekwheekgang

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:20 pm

Does anyone know what this could be? I just acquired a male pig who was in a very bad situation. The owner was either going to let the pig free outside or I would pick him up immediately. Her two year old got "sick of him" and she wanted him gone *sigh*. I of course went and picked him up. He is MASSIVE! I currently have six females and wow... never knew how big a guinea pig couldget.

Onto the medical issues. So immediately I noticed he had a head tilt. He has never been to a vet, and we have an appointment next Wednesday with my vet to have him checked on. The bigger issue I have seen is when giving him a bath large clusters of hair fall out with what looks like skin attached to the end (pics attached for this). He does have a bald spot with a small red sore on his bottom and from research I figured it was fungal. I have been treating him with the human fungal shampoo (remcommended by many people on here, cannot recall the name right now), and some anti fungal cream. He is still loosing hair and I am curious if this could possibly be mites? I ordered some ivermetcin and will use the dosage information on this site to treat him accordingly for that. Could the mites be causing his head tilt? I have no clue what torture this poor boy endured before I got him. He is so friendly but does not like the moments of being picked up.

Side notes: he was never fed hay and had a diet of food that looked equivalent to bird seed with minimal water and no veg or fruit. He also had terrible bedding and his cage was FILTHY when I got him. He is now on a diet of oxbow adult guinea pig pellets, orchard grass hay, oxbow vitamin c tabs, unlimited clean water, the recommended veg and fruit and he is on fleece that gets cleaned daily.

Pics: (feel free to make these pictures permenant on post)

Ask away with anymore questions!

wheekwheekgang

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Ok not sure if my pics aren't allowed? Let me know and I will update how I posted them. Sorry if I did something against the rules!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Imgur did it - not us.

You can email me the pics if they are crisp and clear:

That you are treating for mites and fungus is good. Most likely one of the two.

And I am so glad he is in your hands now! He may need medication for the head tilt.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Here you go. Probably fungal but treating both for mites and fungus is the best choice. Do try a Nizoral shampoo.

Does it look like flakes of skin are coming off with the hair?

wheekwheekgang

Post   » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:32 pm

Yes! That is the shampoo! Sorry I could not recall the name. Flakes of the skin are coming off. He has a bald patch now and he kind of has a scabby back side now.

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:23 am

Oh goodness. Poor guy. I am so glad he found a great home with you!

It was recommended I do coconut oil for mine that randomly got some skin issue. Theirs is clearing up so nicely. Might be soothing if the skin is irritated too.

However I am certainly no expert and definitely defer to lynx and bpatters. They are the bees knees :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:27 pm

Keep in mind if he has mites or fungus, the coconut oil is not going to clear this up.

wheekwheekgang

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Yes! He is already being treated for both. Thank you!

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:59 pm

No of course not. But for soothing skin it's been great.. I definitely defer to everyone else. I know little to nothing.

Hope th e big guy is doiglng better

wheekwheekgang

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:55 pm

He just got his first dose of ivermectin yesterday evening and his super raw bloody spot is scabbed over and he even popcorned today. He was running around during floor time! And he seems to be a little more interested in food and in being around my boyfriend and I. I'm so glad he's seeming happier. He's such a sweet boy. My 6 Girl's are housed fully across the room from him, but should they be getting a treatment as well? None of them are itching or losing weight or acting any differently. Nor do they have any hair or skin issues as I can tell. They all hate me for poking around and weighing them weekly buttttt I can't help it!

wheekwheekgang

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:56 pm

His hair looks like a 5 o'clock shadow now as well where it was completely bald before. Not sure if I'm just imagining things but it really does look better. Maybe I'm trying to be optimistic?

PandorasPiggies

Post   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:05 pm

I am sure hes feeling so much better. I'm so glad you could rescue him