Callie - Scratching/Head Shaking

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:20 pm

This page may help you with dosing too (general information):
www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

IssaG

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:25 am

Awesome. Thank you both. I'll do my best to get it right this time.

IssaG

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:53 pm

I've retreated and we'll see what happens. Nibbles was tougher as her hair went all the way to her ear, so hopefully I got it rubbed in anyway.

So as I understand it, 3 or 4 for the itching to stop, then another treatment in 7-10 days.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:07 pm

Seven days for the next treatment. A total of at least three treatments, and a fourth if it was a bad infestation.

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:22 pm

Sorry to butt in but bpatters is the stuff you mentioned on Amazon the Litre bottle of blue liquid from Durvet? Just in case we end up needing it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:01 pm

I used to be able to get a smaller bottle than that, but don't see it anymore.

This is what it looked like: /www.amazon.com/Durvet-Ivermectin-Pour-1 ... ref=sr_1_7

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:42 pm

Ok Great Thanks i found this one too but it said injectable rather than pour on.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:45 pm

Injectable is fine. And you don't have to inject it. You can also pour it on.

IssaG

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:20 pm

I retreated again. Callie's scratching started getting bad again, so I hope that this round does it. She's losing hair behind her ears and looks like she has a mohawk going. The skin showing is not flaky or crusty or so I'm still going with the mite theory.

On an unrelated note, I've found patches of white on the fleece. From what I've read, that's extra calcium in their urine. They are both young, under 6 mo. and I feed them blue grass hay and unlimited alfalfa pellets. So far veggie wise they've received lettuce and cucumber the most often, yellow pepper and celery, we just introduced carrots, and they received a few strawberry tops/leaves. So the calcium is coming from the pellets I assume. Do we just live with it for now since they are so young and should be on the alfalfa pellets?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:46 pm

We don't generally worry about calcium deposits in very young pigs.

And FYI, you're never going to get rid of all the calcium spots. The fewer you have, and the smaller they are, the better. But all pigs are going to secrete some extra calcium.

IssaG

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Okay, good to know. I'm not worried about getting the out. One of my fleeces is already stained from the urine (plus side I learned the corner they prefer to do their business). The piggies won't care about the colors so I'm not going to care either.

IssaG

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:48 pm

Oh, and I have another issue with Callie that's not the itching. So I think I need to keep that in this thread. She has an extra toe on each back foot. They just hang there, no bone structure. The site told me what they were and I have an appointment with the vet in two weeks to get those toes evaluated and removed. I assume that should be very easy...a little local, snip, wrap. They shouldn't need to do more with that, should they?