Hi everyone - I have been reading through past posts in this forum for a few days trying to make a decision on Peppa’s care and I thought I’d solicit your opinions.
Background: Peppa is a ca 2 year old intact female that I adopted from a very small no kill mostly dog and horse rescue in South Carolina. They didn’t know much about her past except that she was at least 1.5 years old, had reportedly had babies at least once, and was living in filth. I took her to the vet for a UTI not too long after adopting her and she received an otherwise clean bill of health.
Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I switched to fleece bedding and it became immediately apparent that something wasn’t right. I found bloody mucous on the fleece and Peppa wasn’t her usual self in the morning. I took her to the vet, x-rays and UA were both negative except for traces of blood in the urine, no infection. My vet was stumped by the photo and suggested possible aneurism in the reproductive tract or other reproductive issues.
Peppa is on an antibiotic for good measure bc of the blood her urine. It doesn’t seem to be bothering her so I’ve decided to finish the course. She was perked right back up that evening, and I haven’t seen the bloody mucus since.
I did however, see it in June on my laminate floor. I didn’t know what it was, and didnt think to take a picture. I also think, now that I’ve seen it clearly, it’s been in the cage before, on the paper bedding.
My vet recommended I take Peppa for an ultrasound as a next step, however reading through previous experiences here it sounds to me like anything that the ultrasound will discover will result in surgery. I was planning to have Peppa spayed this fall anyway, to prevent future cysts, so I think we will forego the ultrasound and go straight for the full spay/hysterectomy.
We have a consultation with the board certified exotics vet on Tuesday. As I said, I’m fairly certain this is what I want to do, but I didn’t get a chance to discuss it with my vet (who is the only person I know who knows anything about be guinea pigs) so I thought I would poll the room here.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
- And got the T-shirt
It may be pyometra, or possibly uterine cysts. Either way, the treatment is the same.
Keep us posted on how she's doing.
The Dr said that the only other place likely to be able to do the surgery is NC State, in Raleigh, and their prices are usually similar.
I also did not think of Charlotte as an expensive place, until I moved here. They have good marketers, I think ;)
Yesterday morning I found Peppa in extreme pain while trying to poop, and actively bleeding from what appeared to be her anus, but there was no blood on the stool. She peed blood, but didn’t seem to be in pain/straining to pee.
She had all of these symptoms two weeks ago when I first took her to the vet, except for the blood. The blood of course scared me, I called the vet and Dr. Powers very kindly called me on her day off. Since the pain had subsided with no lasting effects two weeks ago, I decided to watch her and wait. (I gave her metacam and critical care.)
Sure enough, within an hour she had stopped bleeding, relaxed and started eating and moving around normally. She had less and less blood in her pee until it was clear again today.
Dr. Powers gave all of her parts an extemely thorough once over today and found nothing unusual. She said her lady parts were closed, and the blood could not be coming from there, therefore it’s likely not reproductive after all. She said the inside of the anus was red in color, but otherwise smooth (ie not open/bleeding) and was consistently red. Peppa was pooping during the exam with no issue.
Needless to say I canceled the spay and will likely schedule the ultrasound afterall.
Has anyone had any experience with anything like this? I’ve never seen a pig in as much pain as she was in, and 12 hours later you’d never have known it. It is the weirdest thing.
Peppa had her ultrasound today, nothing abnormal except a very small gall bladder stone which the drs assessed should not be bothering her, and would not result in the bleeding she was experiencing. She does have a small flap of skin hanging out of her butt which is attached and is not inflamed/diseased or otherwise bothering her. The vet thought that perhaps Peppa had gone in for a poop and accidentally mopped this piece of skin. That didn’t appear to be the case to me, but I was panicking at the time.
Unrelated (I hope) - I noticed her cage mate (1 yr old neutered male) had blood in his urine, so he went in today, too. Urinalysis confirmed blood but no infection, blood work was totally normal, and he had X-rays in June which were clear of stones.
I have no idea what’s going on with these pigs! The vet jokingly asked if I was feeding them rat poison. She is going to email our primary vet discuss next moves for Gus. I’m going to just keep monitoring Peppa, I guess, and take a video if she has another bleeding/cramping episode.
I am glad the tests keep coming back negative, but I also want to figure out what is causing all of this! Such a double edged sword.