Guinea Pig Hair Loss

GuineapigM

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Hi,

I’m starting to notice a little hair loss in my abasenian female pig. It is located on the side, middle of her back. She is 5 years old and Im not sure about the cause. Can someone please give me some advice? I have pictures if there is a way to post them here.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:18 pm

Send a private message to Lynx. She'll give you an email address that you can use to send them to her and she'll post them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Here you go. I am not sure I can tell much from your photos. Is the skin healthy looking? Abyssinians have sworls that lack hair at the center. It does appear to be more missing than normal. Read over ovarian_cysts.html

GuineapigM

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:36 pm

Hi,

The skin underneath is pink and healthy. No scabs or marks. At first I thought it was from the way her hair swirls around like a cow lick... but it looks too larger as you said. If it’s hard to tell, it is on her mid back. The hair around is standing up. I have seen her touching the area with her mouth so I’m not sure if it’s barbering or something is bothering her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:39 pm

I edited the post above and added a link to a page about ovarian cysts. Read over this page too. Note the info on Cushings disease:
www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html

GuineapigM

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:51 pm

Hmm, yeah it’s on the upper rather than lower side of her back. Might be more possibly Cushing in early stages but there is no other hair loss anywhere else except that area. No increase in aggressive behaviour, or change eating habits. I had notified her hair was getting dirtier than usual a while ago, sort of matted which is odd. I gave her a bath and gently combed her hair and it went back to normal.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:37 am

If you are seeing no dandruff, no scratching, no redness or irritation at all, then it does seem you just need to be observant. So weigh her weekly and note if there are any changes.

GuineapigM

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:25 pm

Thank you. I made her an appointment anyways just in case. The girls could use a general check up and I’m concerned about the bare patch.

GuineapigM

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:58 pm

Hello,

The prognosis is likely an issue with her adrenal glands either it is over active or she has adrenal cancer. No cysts we’re found and she is otherwise healthy. The vet gave her a shot if Lupron 200 mg. Does anyone have a pig that’s gotten this before?
It’s suppose to stop hormone production but apparently it’s only successful %30 of the time. I have to go back in a month and if there are no improvements she will need a blood sample and a skin biopsy done.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:13 am

Hope the Lupron works for you. Fingers crossed for you both!

GuineapigM

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks, has any of your pigs received it before? When I looked into it I’m only seeing forums in regards to cysts not hormonal imbalance

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:29 am

Our group has had a couple of members who used one (or more, not sure what kind) injections, but I don't remember who or why. Have you searched our board yet?