Diarrhea and grunting noise

Merricat

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:00 am

Hi all, hoping you have some advice. My little old girl Piggy Sue has had diarrhea and was making a strange coughing/grunting sound a few days ago. I've treated her with Baytril and Metacam suspecting maybe a respitory illness. Her diarrhea cleared up and she seemed a lot better after a day. Today though (Day 5) the diarrhea is back, mushy not runny (although not sure if this is Baytril related) and she was grunting again and sort of arching her back earlier despite the Metacam. She doesnt seem tender when I feel around her tummy but isnt enjoying me wiping and cleaning her bottom. Taking her to vet tomorrow and I thought to get an x ray to rule out any cysts, lumps etc. She is not desexed and is approx 6 years old, was in a bad situation and had multiple litters before I rescued her. Any thoughts on what this could be would be much appreciated. I am incredibly upset thinking she is a fairly old pig and may not recover if its a serious illness like an ovarian cyst.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:49 am

I'm sorry she's ill. It could also be a bladder stone. Here's hoping the vet can sort it out for her.

I'd cut out veggies in the meantime.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:40 am

I was thinking bladder stone too. That you are seeing a vet tomorrow and getting an xray should turn it up if there are any.

If you haven't read www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html , you might want to do so.

Merricat

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:14 am

Thank you bpatters and Lynx for your advice. Sadly my beloved Piggy Sue went over the Rainbow Bridge today. She was listless and had bad diarrhea again this morning. Xray at vet's showed a strange looking mass on her left side which looked like a tumour. Her heartbeat was also rapid and her eyes sunken with gut stasis showing on x ray probably due to decreased appetite caused by tumour. As she wouldn't have survived surgery, I had her put to sleep. It was sad but not a heartwrenching decision like it has been for me with younger animals as I knew it was the right thing for my beautiful girl. She had 2.5 beautiful years with me and her friend Hamish after being rescued from a very unhappy life so I feel I did all I could for her and sent her on her way with love.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:32 am

I am so very sorry you lost Piggy Sue. Rest in peace little one.

I'm glad you realize you did what you could. It's a hard decision to make, but sometimes it is necessary. Sending warm thoughts and best wishes your way.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:40 am

I am so sorry, Merricat.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:47 pm

I'm very sorry you lost her.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:36 pm

Sorry to hear you lost her.
RIP Piggy Sue.